Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wendy_H
    Junior Member
    • May 2016
    • 5

    #1

    20% adapter get sequenced using MiSeq

    Hi all,

    I am new to MiSeq sequencing and it really frustrates me lately.

    I had two MiSeq run recently and they all turned out to have about 20% adapter get sequenced. I've been using the TruSeq PCR-free DNA prep kit for library preparation. So the first time I followed the protocol for library prep ant it gave me 20% adapter sequenced. The second time I did an 8 cycle PCR enrichment for my library, followed by gel extraction of DNA fragments ranging from 500bp to 1500bp, hoping to remove all adapter dimers. However it gave me about 20% adapter sequence as well, which also leads to an uneven distribution of my libraries (percent reads pass filter for all samples ranging from 0.2% to 24%).

    I wonder if anyone knows why this happens? We don't have bioanalyzer, so I only used qPCR for library quantification using KAPA kit. Also if anybody knows where I could find a commercial bioanalyzer? I would like to pay for them to run a couple of samples for me, in order to get a better MiSeq result.

    Thank you!!!
  • nucacidhunter
    Jafar Jabbari
    • Jan 2013
    • 1250

    #2
    I wonder which of following you are referring to:

    1- whole read was adapter sequence for 20% of reads
    2- 3' end of reads had adapter sequence which was 20% of output

    The first case indicates incomplete removal of adapters after ligation while the second case would happen if read length were longer than insert size. If you have not use BA then how would you know the average size of libraries which is essential to calculate molar concentration from qPCR results.
    PF% is very low which could be result of over clustering among other causes. You need to run sample in BA or a similar device to obtain correct average library size for optimum loading and clustering.
    Last edited by nucacidhunter; 05-07-2016, 12:54 PM. Reason: typo was fixed

    Comment

    • wendy_H
      Junior Member
      • May 2016
      • 5

      #3
      It's number 1. The most recent MiSeq was run using 2x300bp, in about 20% of the sequencing output, I get about 60bp read length followed by low quality nucleotides, which I think indicate number 1 happening.

      For read length calculation, I ran the enriched library on DNA gel so I could get an estimate of average fragment length. I should correct myself, the cluster density (~1100K/mm2) and pass filter rate (~90%) for the MiSeq run was great. The problem I had was distribution of % reads. For some of my samples, they were sequenced for only 0.2% to 1% among all sequencing samples; for some other samples, they were sequenced 24%. Theoretically if I have 18 samples and I loaded them equally, I am expecting about 5.5% for each get sequenced.

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #4
        Qubit for sample concentration along with bioanalyzer for size estimation is essential to get balanced pools. You will always find some variation in the actual number of reads you get for each sample (due to pipetting/conc estimation errors).

        As you discovered yourself smaller inserts (adapter dimers qualify) cluster very efficiently compared to longer real inserts. So the only way to avoid that is to get rid of them by purification.

        Comment

        • wendy_H
          Junior Member
          • May 2016
          • 5

          #5
          To GenoMax,

          Unfortunately we don't have BA and can't afford to have it for now

          To remove the smaller inserts, I did gel extraction (to remove fragment length less than 500bp), but it didn't seem to work

          Comment

          • GenoMax
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 7142

            #6
            You could pay an additional charge and have your sequencing facility QC your samples on BA.

            I am not on experimental side of things but bead purification would be better to remove primer dimers.

            Comment

            • wendy_H
              Junior Member
              • May 2016
              • 5

              #7
              Yeah, so we don't have instrument for beads purification either... and we don't have a sequencing facility, so I did everything by myself in-house.

              I wish I could pay sequencing company/facility just for BA usage.

              Comment

              • GenoMax
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 7142

                #8
                I don't think you need an instrument for bead purification.

                If you are in the Dallas area I am sure there will be local facilities that offer BA analysis as a "fee for service" option.

                Comment

                • wendy_H
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2016
                  • 5

                  #9
                  Cool! I will look into that. Thank you!

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Today, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  27 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  24 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  45 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                  1 response
                  55 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...