I want to do differential gene expression analysis on some Nile Tilapia RNA-Seq data using the Cufflinks-Cuffdiff method. I aligned the sequence reads to the UCSC Nile Tilapia genome with >80% mapping efficiency. I downloaded the annotation GTF file from Ensembl and converted it using the "Make ensembl GTP compatible with Cufflinks" work flow. This workflow adds "chr" in front of the chromosome number. Then I ran cufflinks on the paired-end mapped data with either the original and converted GTF file. However, the counts were 0 for all gene and transcript expression. I noticed the the chromosome names of the Tilapia gtf file are strange. They are "GL831133.1" instead of 1,2,3. I also got zero counts using HTseq-count with either the original and converted GTF file. Does anyone know a good reference annotation file that work for Tilapia? Thanks!
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
Looks like Nile tilapia is available in UCSC Table Browser. You should be able to get a GTF file (which should match your sequence) from there.
Clade (Vertebrate) --> Genome (Nile Tilapia) --> group (Genes and Gene Predictions) --> Track (Choose one you want, RefSeq is available) --> Region (Genome) --> Output format (GTF) --> Provide a file name (e.g. tilapia_annot.gtf) --> Save/Use with HTseq-count of featureCounts.
Comment
-
Yes, it turns out that the UCSC genome is OreNil2.0 and the ensembl annotation is OreNil1.0. I downloaded the ensembl tilapia genome (OreNil1.0) and did the tophat alignment again. This time, I could run cufflinks and HTseq with the ensembl annotation.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
-
by SEQadmin2
The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.
This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...-
Channel: Articles
09-01-2026, 05:41 AM -
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
28 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
46 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
|
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:12 AM
|
Comment