Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • uloeber
    Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 44

    #1

    Demultiplexing PacBio sequences

    Hi all,
    I have the following problem:
    I have a dataset containing circurlarized and linear DNA. It was amplified with two pairs of primers using inverse PCR. I'd like to dissect the data by the following scheme:
    Primer1a----------Primer1b
    Primer2a----------Primer2b
    Primer1a---------- or ----------Primer1a
    Primer1b---------- or ----------Primer1b
    Primer2a---------- or ----------Primer2a
    Primer2b---------- or ----------Primer2b

    I tried to use cutadapt for this issue, but it seems that for the paired primers I only get the sequences with e.g. 1a at 5', 1b at 3' and have to specify it the other way around.
    cutadapt -g ^P1 -a P2\$ --trimmed-only -e 0.05 --no-trim >out.fasta in.fasta
    I need an approach where I can specify a certain error rate as well as the possibility to search for example within the first and last 40 bp for my 20 bp primer.
    Do you have any suggestions???
    Thanks in advance!
  • Brian Bushnell
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2014
    • 2709

    #2
    You can use BBDuk to look for this kind of thing:

    bbduk.sh in=reads.fq out=unmatched.fq outm=matched.fq ref=primer1a.fa k=20 restrictleft=40 edist=3 -da

    That will allow an edit distance of 3 and only look for matching kmers in the first 40 bp of the reads. You can subsequently trim the reads in another pass:

    bbduk.sh in=matched.fq out=trimmed.fq ref=primer1a.fa k=20 restrictleft=40 edist=3 ktrim=l -da

    For the adapters on the right end, you'd use "ktrim=r" and "restrictright=40".
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 11-23-2016, 02:03 PM.

    Comment

    • uloeber
      Member
      • Mar 2013
      • 44

      #3
      Hi Brian,
      Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention, I want to keep the reads untrimmed. And would your software care about the "both primers present" issue? Otherwise I have again to check every possibility separately for every sample. That's what I try to avoid. But again, thank you very much! I appreciate your help. Bbnorm is one of my favorites.
      Best wishes,
      Ulrike

      Comment

      • Brian Bushnell
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2014
        • 2709

        #4
        Hi Ulrike,

        The first command will not do any trimming, only filtering. And no - unfortunately, BBDuk will not handle both ends at once, so you would need 2 passes. However, if you have a lot of different primers, you can put them all in a file and demultiplex with Seal like this:

        seal.sh in=reads.fq pattern=out_%.fq ref=primers.fa restrictleft=40 k=20 edist=3 -da

        That would produce one output file per primer sequence. Might save some time.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        29 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        25 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...