Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JamieWizard
    Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 10

    #1

    Chemical shearing of DNA specifically (not RNA)

    Hi,

    I just wondered, are there any sequencing protocol kits around for shearing DNA by chemical means? I know that heating RNA in presence of divalent cations can be used to fragment RNA (i.e. Illumina TruSeq protocol kits). Do similar kits exist/or are methods applied for fragmenting DNA prior to sequencing?

    Cheers,
    Jamie
  • torben
    Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 21

    #2
    I don't know about any kits, but DNA can be fragmented with reduced CuSO4

    Comment

    • JamieWizard
      Member
      • Sep 2013
      • 10

      #3
      Cheers for that Torben. I saw that article, but thought it looks like a masters and because it's not referenced elsewhere might therefore not be a standard method that is used in labs that do sequencing.

      Comment

      • jwfoley
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 183

        #4
        If enzymes count as chemicals, NEB has its "Fragmentase" mix, which appears to be a combination of a dsDNA nicking enzyme that's had its sequence specificity engineered out of it and a second enzyme that turns nicks into blunt ends.

        Comment

        • JamieWizard
          Member
          • Sep 2013
          • 10

          #5
          Thanks JW. The reason I am asking is I'm interested in the biases introduced by different fragmentation methods. Enzymatic methods, such as restriction endonucleases are a different class.

          Essentially what I'm trying to establish, is that are metal cations also used to fragment DNA (I know they are used for RNA). I know the phosphate backbone of DNA/RNA carries a significant negative charge which facilitates this method. I believe RNA is slightly less stable than DNA, and I wondered if the method is also used for fragmenting DNA, but I can't seem to find reference to it online or in sequencing protocols.

          Cheers

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Today, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          24 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          45 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...