Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • leonardo_ca
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2017
    • 5

    #1

    How to set up a computer for bioinformatics? Any hints..

    Hey there,
    I know this question has been around a few times, however the threads I could find are relatively not so updated and as Bioinformatics and computer evolves quite fast, I decided to ask it.

    So, I am up to start working with Bioinformatics for a lab and that will be a new "line of research" there, which means we are buying computational resources too. We will do bacterial sequencing using the Miseq platform. There will be 16S amplicon sequencing for bacteria identification (multiplexing at maximum) AND sequencing for genome assemblies to create a database of the sequenced species. I am considering demultiplexing and running Qiime for species identification; and for assemblies running AbySS and quality checking.
    I am experienced with Bioinfo (plant RNAseq) but never had to buy a computer and that`s my problem now. Could you help me with some hints on what to buy at a medium budget? I believe should go for something with lots of RAM and storage...

    I though in two main lines:
    1) a powerfull but not that expensive machine:
    Dell Precision T3620
    Xeon E3-1225 v6 (4 cores, 3,3 GHz, HD Graphics P630)
    32 Gb UDIMM DDR4 ECC 2400 MHz
    NVIDIA QUADRO K620 - 2GB
    1 TB Sata Storage + cloud storage (I am considering cloud storage so 1TB is for instant storing)
    Ubuntu 16.04

    2) cloud computing
    Google or Amazon cloud computing on a similar than "1" image. It's not that cheap but, an option. Still, never worked with cloud computing so do you think that is reliable for bioinformatics? Do the assemblers, mappers etc run on the cloud?

    Well, I hope you guys could help me on choosing a reliable configuration.

    Cheers and thanks,
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Devil is always in the details of how much sequencing you would be doing. Reagent costs for sequencing add up rapidly compared to cost of the hardware you are going to buy for computing.

    I am not sure how much the Quadro card you have listed is but I would let that go and get more RAM if you can. RAM is one thing that you can't find an alternative for when you need it. While cloud computing sounds fantastic you should stay away from it if you work in a small individual lab.

    Comment

    • leonardo_ca
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2017
      • 5

      #3
      Dear GenoMax, thanks for replying.
      Good point, we can make our way for get rid of low processor capacity and storing, but for RAM the only solution is buying more and more.
      The lab is not exactly small, thing is that I am the only one who will doing bioinformatics there, because they used to hire such services. They were doing R&D on bacteria species discovering and cultivation but sequencing was out of their work and now sequencing and bioinfo will be done in the lab.

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #4
        I would suggest that you get hardware that makes sense (don't forget a data backup solution, it can be as simple as multiple external drives). When in-house hardware is not sufficient for a specific project then you can turn to the cloud.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...