Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bheida
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2018
    • 4

    #1

    Custom Sequencing Primer

    Hi,

    I am writing my thesis and I ran into a question. Maybe someone here happens to know the answer to this.

    We have an Illumina Miseq in our lab. For our sequencing approach we used custom sequencing primer (well 18 and 20 on the MiSeq cartridge). I know that these primers are used during the sequencing process itself. But are they also used for the bridge amplification that precedes the actual sequencing? Or does the polymerase for the bridge amplification start directly at the Illumina adapter and the flow cell.

    I hope I phrased this clearly enough. Any insight would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
  • GSviral
    Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 38

    #2
    Hi bheida,

    This is a good question. I may be a bit rusty on my theory but I can try to help.

    I believe when the libraries have hybridised to the flow cell via the P5 and P7 oligos the complementary strands are synthesised and the original template molecules are washed away. Then the bridge amplification occurs, the 3-prime P5/P7 end forms the bridge with complementary oligo on the flow cell, and the new strand is synthesised using that flow cell oligo as the primer.

    So I think the bridge amplification begins at the flow cell adapter/oligo. The sequencing primers are used during actual read synthesis.

    Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, it's been a while since I've thought about this!

    Comment

    • misterc
      Member
      • Jan 2016
      • 46

      #3
      GSviral, you're correct on all statements there

      Comment

      • bheida
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2018
        • 4

        #4
        Thank you guys very much for your help. It can be difficult to find this type of information anywhere else on the web.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...