Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • adamcarol
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2019
    • 4

    #1

    Low efficiency in bead-based size selection. Can't get rid of large fragments.

    Hi everyone!

    We’re performing a bead-based size selection of double digested genomic DNA, targeting fragments between 400bp and 700bp, but we’re having some trouble getting rid of larger fragments. Our size selection protocol employs Serapure beads, prepared following the protocol in Faircloth and Glenn (2011), attached.

    To test the efficiency of the Serapure in removing the larger fragments, we size selected DNA ladder using different proportions of Serapure (0,55x and 0,65x of DNA volume). Here is the electrophoresis gel of both the DNA remaining in the supernatant and eluted from the beads. Theoretically, we should see the larger fragments in the beads (marked as 2a, 2b, and 4a, 4b), and only the smaller fragments in the supernatant (marked as 1a, 1b, and 3a, 3b). Unfortunately, not all of the larger fragments seem to be binding to the beads and are still visible in the supernatant (although in a lower concentration, considering that the bands are not that bright).

    One of our thoughts is that we’re not using the right proportion of PEG. The amount of PEG8000 used in the Serapure preparation is the same as described in the protocol (9g of PEG8000 and 1mL of Sera-mag SpeedBeads to prepare a 50mL Serapure solution).

    I read some very helpful threads about bead-size selection, but still couldn't figure out what seems to be the problem with our experiments.
    Any help is very welcome. Many thanks in advance.
    -c.
    Last edited by adamcarol; 02-25-2019, 05:35 AM. Reason: missing image
  • lydsmith
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 3

    #2
    Hi adamcarol. I can say that the original formulation of home-made SPRI beads as published in Rohland & Reich 2012 (who Faircloth & Glenn do properly credit in their own protocol) work terribly below a ratio of 0.9X or so. I had a lot of problems getting double-sided selections of 0.55x/0.7x to work properly until I came across this alternative recipe from Philippe Jolivet and Joseph W. Foley:


    Their recipe has some differences, but the bead mix components end up being the same as Rohland & Reich except that 1) PEG is increased from 18% to 20% and 2) NaCl is increased from 0.5M to 2.5M. The latter seems to be key since I have made hybrid beads (18% PEG / 2.5M NaCl) which approximate commercial ones best of all.

    Comment

    • lydsmith
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 3

      #3
      P.S. adamcarol: feel free to follow up here or message me directly for more details. I am happy to help others avoid the same bead struggles I encountered. I came across the Jolivet & Foley protocol through dumb luck while looking for something else, and I came across your question equally randomly while I was searching for another protocol. It could be fate ; )

      Comment

      • lydsmith
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 3

        #4
        P.P.S. Small clarification. My original message should have read:
        Their recipe has some differences, but the bead mix components end up being the same as Rohland & Reich except that 1) PEG is increased from 18% to 20% and 2) NaCl is increased from 1.0M to 2.5M. The latter seems to be key since I have made hybrid beads (18% PEG / 2.5M NaCl) which approximate commercial ones best of all.

        Cheers!

        Comment

        • adamcarol
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2019
          • 4

          #5
          Hey lydsmith, thanks so much for your reply. I've never come across this alternative recipe, it's pretty helpful!
          I found this Sera-Mag User Guide , which features some modifications at the procedures, and got a better result. Still not ideal, but waaaay closer to my target size. I will definitely try the alternative recipe, adding the procedure modifications. Maybe is fate indeed, I'm struggling with this size selection for quite some time.

          As soon as I test it I'll give you feedback. Hopefully with a nice gel and bioanalyzer picture with my target size beautifully selected haha

          Cheers!

          Comment

          • adamcarol
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2019
            • 4

            #6
            Size selection result

            After some tests and different recipes, I ended up using PEG8000 at 20% and NaCl 2.5M. I selected ladder to test and the result is in the attached image. It worked great.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by adamcarol; 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM. Reason: missing an image

            Comment

            • luc
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 469

              #7
              Hi Adam,
              the promised attached image seems to be missing.

              Comment

              • adamcarol
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2019
                • 4

                #8
                Originally posted by luc View Post
                Hi Adam,
                the promised attached image seems to be missing.
                Thanks for the heads-up luc!
                I just edited and the image is attached.

                Comment

                • luc
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 469

                  #9
                  Thanks Adam,
                  this image is very helpful!

                  Comment

                  • myorick
                    Junior Member
                    • Jul 2020
                    • 1

                    #10
                    Hi adam,

                    Glad to hear its working for you! I am actually struggling the size selection with miRNA, hope I can get some idea form your result.
                    Would you please put the gel image in another link? I can't view the larger image, it shows a question mark. Also, may I know which protocol do you follow to get thing working?

                    Best,
                    Rick

                    Comment

                    Latest Articles

                    Collapse

                    • SEQadmin2
                      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                      by SEQadmin2


                      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                      ...
                      Today, 10:25 AM
                    • SEQadmin2
                      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                      by SEQadmin2




                      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                    ad_right_rmr

                    Collapse

                    News

                    Collapse

                    Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                    0 responses
                    27 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                    0 responses
                    24 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                    1 response
                    46 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                    1 response
                    55 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Working...