Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • alperyilmaz
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 10

    #1

    view .wig files

    I was trying to view the resulting .wig files generated by FindPeaks3 in IGB (Genoviz at SourceForge) but there's a problem with IGB and cannot parse .wig file correctly. Is there any other alternative software to view .wig files, preferentially along with multiple wig files and a genome.
    I tried Argo and IGV, they can parse .wig okay but they didn't allow uploadig a gff file to overlay my own genome with .wig file.
    Napoleon Bonaparte: "Money, money, money!", bioinformatician: "Format, format, format, ..."
  • apfejes
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 236

    #2
    Well, you could always send the error to me, and I could help you navigate through it, or solve it.. that is also an option. (=

    Anthony
    (author of FindPeaks)
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

    Comment

    • alperyilmaz
      Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 10

      #3
      Hi Anthony,

      thanks for offering help. one of the IGB developers agreed to fix the issue. So it will be fixed soon.
      Napoleon Bonaparte: "Money, money, money!", bioinformatician: "Format, format, format, ..."

      Comment

      • apfejes
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 236

        #4
        Great! Thanks for letting me know.
        The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

        Comment

        • lparsons
          Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 28

          #5
          I too ran into an issue with FindPeaks and IGB. Basically, IGB complains that there is no track information for each fixedstep start location in the WIG file. From my review of the WIG file specification (http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/wiggle.html) it's pretty ambiguous, but UCSC and other browsers don't complain and it's certainly not necessary information, so a fix in IGB would be best. Please let me know when you hear back from the IGB developers as I would be very interested in the fix. Thanks.

          Comment

          • apfejes
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 236

            #6
            Hi Guys,

            I haven't used IGB, myself, so I wasn't aware of this problem. Would either of you be able to send an extract from a wig file that does work for their browser? I can certainly modify the headers to match an existing template if you are aware of one that works.

            Anthony
            The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

            Comment

            • lparsons
              Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 28

              #7
              I don't have a ton of experience with WIG files, but before FindPeaks I hadn't seen one that inserted new "start positions" within a chromosome track before. In other words, added lines like:

              fixedStep chrom=chrN start=chromStart step=stepInterval [span=windowSize]

              That's probably because I had been used to variableStep format, so for that, I'd just put the new start in the data line.

              Using fixedStep like you do is actually more concise, and thus preferable, but I think that is what is causing the problem with IGB. I haven't done too much testing though, so there could be other issues I'm not aware of.

              Hope that helps to clear up the situation...

              Comment

              • apfejes
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 236

                #8
                That makes sense, although it's difficult to test out without a lot of rewriting. I also have a hard time imagining that there's a browser out there that doesn't understand the fixedStep format of the wig files. Am I really the only one using that format?

                At some point, I suppose I could download the IGB source code and look into it, but it's somewhat low on my priority list. If anyone can shed any more light on the subject, or provide a working example of a fixedStep wig that does work with IGB, I'd be happy to spend some time on it.
                The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                28 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                46 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...