Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • inesdesantiago
    Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 44

    #1

    Reference genome for MAQ - split reference genome by chromosome or not?

    Hello!
    I am a beginner!
    I am trying MAQ..
    My question is about the reference genome! I downloaded the mm9 genome from UCSC, and it comes as separated chr*.fa files (one fasta per chromosome)

    However, the MAQ command to do the alignments points to a single file as the reference genome:

    maq match output.map genome.bfa myreads.bfq

    I converted all my chr.fasta files to bfa files using maq "fasta2bfa".
    Now, I don't know if i am supposed to run the MAQ for each single chromosome individually or if I should have the complete genome in one-single-bfa-file.

    Any of these is a challenge.
    If we the alignment is to run chromosome by chromosome then there should be a way to merge the output files (I think...!?).
    One the other hand, if the genome is supposed to be in just one-file, how do I do that?

    Any thoughts?
    THanks!!
    ines
  • bioinfosm
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 483

    #2
    here is a similar discussion => don't split by chromosome
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc
    --
    bioinfosm

    Comment

    • inesdesantiago
      Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 44

      #3
      Good to know!

      I can't find the complete genome in the UCSC database.
      Should I do it myself? merge my chromosome.fa files into one-big file looking like this:

      >chr1
      AACTGTGCACTGTGACAC...
      GTACGCACGTGCGTGCAC...
      >chr2
      ACATTGCCAACACTGTCA...
      ACACGTGCGTGCACACGT...
      >chr xyz

      I don't know if this is the right format...

      Comment

      • inesdesantiago
        Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 44

        #4
        just a quick reply to myself:
        Yes, that's the right format!

        Comment

        • bioinfosm
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 483

          #5
          Yes, sometimes eland gives issues with fasta headers, it creates extra columns in the export or eland_extended output. So I also prefer to keep the fasta reference sequence headers small
          --
          bioinfosm

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2
            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing throughput and
            ...
            Today, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          26 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          22 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          45 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...