Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • peromhc
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 108

    #1

    SOAPaligner problem: Query File Error: Can't read

    So what seems to be a super-easy problem has proved itself difficult to resolve. I've posted the the SOAP mailing list and to the contact email listed on the SOAP website...

    Basically, I get this an error that seems to refer to the input fasta file..

    The command:
    Code:
    macmanes@macmanes:~/soap-2.20$ ./soap -D /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/ 
    tuco.fa.index –a /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/reads_a.fa -o /media/hd/tuco/mrna/ 
    SOAP_results/soap

    The painful results:
    Code:
    Begin Program SOAPaligner/soap2 
    Fri Apr 16 12:51:34 2010 
    Reference: /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/tuco.fa.index 
    Query File Error: Can't read
    Here are the reads:
    Code:
    macmanes@macmanes:~/soap-2.20$ head /home/macmanes/soap-2.20/reads_a.fa 
    
    >1 
    CAGATATCTTGGGGAGCTCCGGGCGTAGCAGGGTTGGGGAGCCGTGAGAGGGGGCGGCTGTCAGGGCCGGGTGGCACCGGGCGGGCGCGCGCCCGCCTGCCT 
    
    >2 
    CGGGAAGCGGGGAGCCTGAAGCTGGGGCCACCCCTCGCCGCCACCGGCGTGCAGCCGCCCAGGATTGCAGCCCGGAAGGGTCCCCCTGCAGGGGGTCTGGCG 
    
    >3 
    GTTCCATGTGAACAGCAGTTGAACATGGGTCAGTCGGTCCTGAGAGATGGGCGAGCGCCGTTCCGACGGGACGGGACGACGGCCTCCGTCGCCCTCAGCCGC 
    
    >4 
    TGGGTCCCCATTAGAGGCGGTGAAATCGATGGCCACCGTGAAGCTGGTCTGGCAGCCGCCCCTGATGTAACCCAGAGACGGTGTGCACCTTTTCCACCGCGC 
    
    >5 
    GCCAGCCTGAACAACATCATGAGACTTTGTCTTGGGAGGCAAAAAGAGAAACTTAGACTATTCACATTAGAAATCAAGTAACAGAAACAACATCTCCATTCA
    The error seems so elementary, yet, I have been unable to solve. The reads seems to be fine, and permissions are set appropriately.

    Anybody know how to fix this problem?
  • Pepe
    Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 30

    #2
    I haven't used SOAP, but I found once a software that did not like numbers as fasta headers.

    Comment

    • peromhc
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 108

      #3
      yeah, I dont think that's it: I've tried a few different input files, and none of them work.. All these are 101bp Illumina reads.. I wonder if SOAP can handle reads this long.

      Comment

      • baby1885
        Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 13

        #4
        SOAP2.20 can support fasta format

        Comment

        • peromhc
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 108

          #5
          Originally posted by baby1885 View Post
          SOAP2.20 can support fasta format
          yeah, just not MY fasta I guess..

          Comment

          • Mansequencer
            Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 16

            #6
            Hi Peromhc,
            Did you find a solution to your problem of SOAP2 not reading the file. In my case it seems to read the forward file just fine but when I try to do PE alignment, SOAP come with error Cannot write output file.
            Any ideas,
            Thanks.

            Comment

            • trummas
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 2

              #7
              Hi Everybody,
              I ran into the same problem.
              The solution was simple though, after some help from a friend :-). Make sure that the dashes for the command line are the right ones. They might not be if you copy the example on how to run it from the SOAP webpage. So just make sure that the "-" in front of a, D and o is the right one. If you look carefully on the example on the SOAP webpage the dash in front of the "a" is a "long dash". I just exchanged it and now it runs as it should.

              Hope this helps.
              Cheers,
              Tomas

              Comment

              • jorgill
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 1

                #8
                I've been having the same problem, changed the short dash to long dash (guess all dashes are not born equal).
                This changed my error message to a simple:
                "Reference:
                Query File Error: Can't read"

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                28 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                46 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...