Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • liying
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 11

    #1

    strange results of samtools

    Hi, everyone!
    I'm dealing with 14 sets of 81*2 data. After mapping them to reference genome by bwa 0.5.9-r16, I try to call variants using samtools 0.1.18. The strange thing is that all the thousands results of each sample are INDEL, though I can see there are SNPs by IGV.
    Do you have any idea about this?


    my command:
    samtools mpileup -6AB -Q 30 -uf Egrandis_162.fa 1.rmdup.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - >1_30.RawVar.bcf 2>mpileup.log&
    bcftools view 1_30.RawVar.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -Q 30 -d 2 - > 1_30_30.FilterVar.vcf
  • swbarnes2
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 910

    #2
    Originally posted by liying View Post
    Hi, everyone!
    I'm dealing with 14 sets of 81*2 data. After mapping them to reference genome by bwa 0.5.9-r16, I try to call variants using samtools 0.1.18. The strange thing is that all the thousands results of each sample are INDEL, though I can see there are SNPs by IGV.
    Do you have any idea about this?


    my command:
    samtools mpileup -6AB -Q 30 -uf Egrandis_162.fa 1.rmdup.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - >1_30.RawVar.bcf 2>mpileup.log&
    bcftools view 1_30.RawVar.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -Q 30 -d 2 - > 1_30_30.FilterVar.vcf
    Start by finiding a SNP that you see in IGV, and looking at the pileup in that position, and then the sam file in that region. Do the reads have good quality scores at the locus? Is the mapping quality alright? Something that I've observed, though it might not explain all your missing SNPs, is that sometimes, the BAQ calculations will mess up real SNPs, but not indels. I've occasionally seen this with sanger verified SNPs. So try rerunning mpileup with -B, see if that makes a difference.

    Comment

    • liying
      Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 11

      #3
      Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
      Start by finiding a SNP that you see in IGV, and looking at the pileup in that position, and then the sam file in that region. Do the reads have good quality scores at the locus? Is the mapping quality alright? Something that I've observed, though it might not explain all your missing SNPs, is that sometimes, the BAQ calculations will mess up real SNPs, but not indels. I've occasionally seen this with sanger verified SNPs. So try rerunning mpileup with -B, see if that makes a difference.
      Thanks for you reply.
      I'm sure these SNPs should pass my fliter. The MAPQ, baseQ and depth is good enough. And no matter how low threshold be set, I did not got any SNPs anyway.
      As -B option was already be used, I presumed you mean without it. That didn't help.

      Perhaps I should give up and try other SNPcaller.

      PS:GATK is really complicated. I'm trying.

      Comment

      • liying
        Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 11

        #4
        Foget it. I'm a fool. I shouldn't use -6 option after adding -I in bwa.
        Well, it's a good thing that I'm wrong and samtools is right, so I can use it...

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...