Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gedoardo83
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2

    #1

    Suggestions to optimize IonTorrent workflow

    Hi everybody,

    We are planning to acquire an Ion Torrent PGA and reading around the web it seems that the sample prep is the critical step for this technology.
    With the aim to rapidly get good results we are evaluating which accessories will be useful to optimize and speed up the sample preparation.

    Apart of the Bioruptor sonicator suggested by Applied itself and the OneTouch system, which other complementary equipments do you suggest to buy in order to make the sample prep as easy and fast as possible?

    Thanks a lot!
  • Hiro.Protagonist
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 9

    #2
    The bioruptor isn't the best for fragmenting DNA, it actually performs about as good as the fragmentase from NEB.

    If you have access to a Covaris for shearing, I would definitely use that over the bioruptor.

    An Agilent 2100 bioanalyzer is essential and a Qubit pairs well.

    Comment

    • TonyBrooks
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 303

      #3
      Originally posted by Hiro.Protagonist View Post
      The bioruptor isn't the best for fragmenting DNA, it actually performs about as good as the fragmentase from NEB.

      If you have access to a Covaris for shearing, I would definitely use that over the bioruptor.

      An Agilent 2100 bioanalyzer is essential and a Qubit pairs well.
      I would second the Covaris. I would also see if you could justify purchasing an E series model. We have the S series and it's very time consuming the moment you begin fragmenting more than a handful of samples - in only does one at a time. I would say that fragmentation is now becoming the bottleneck of our sample processing.

      Comment

      • Northeaster
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 3

        #4
        Anyone has tried the new enzymatic fragmentation method offered by Ion Torrent in its Xpress Fragment library kit? How does it work?

        Comment

        • Coyk
          Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 15

          #5
          Sorry for the delayed response. I have tried the IonShear protocol several times now with no success on my sample. The first two times I used 1 microgram starting material and I ran an E.coli standard as well. The E.coli sheared fine both times but my sample didn't at all. I then used 100ng starting material and tried increasing incubation times and still no success. Technical support seems to think that maybe my DNA has EDTA in it though I used a Qiagen DNeasy kit to extract it and the final elution is in EB buffer which is EDTA free. As of now, I haven't been able to make it past this first step.

          Comment

          • ECO
            --Site Admin--
            • Oct 2007
            • 1360

            #6
            What organism is your sample from? Something highly methylated?

            Comment

            • Coyk
              Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 15

              #7
              It is DNA from coral. I don't know if its DNA is highly methylated or not. I ran the exact same sample through the 454 Rapid Library protocol and it worked fine and subsequently got good results from a 454 Junior run.

              Comment

              • SeqAA

                #8
                Originally posted by Coyk View Post
                Sorry for the delayed response. I have tried the IonShear protocol several times now with no success on my sample. The first two times I used 1 microgram starting material and I ran an E.coli standard as well. The E.coli sheared fine both times but my sample didn't at all. I then used 100ng starting material and tried increasing incubation times and still no success. Technical support seems to think that maybe my DNA has EDTA in it though I used a Qiagen DNeasy kit to extract it and the final elution is in EB buffer which is EDTA free. As of now, I haven't been able to make it past this first step.
                EB can contain EDTA.

                you have something inhibiting enzymatic activity. If the Ion Shear isn't working, chances are the rest of the library prep will not work either.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM.

                Comment

                • lek2k
                  Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 32

                  #9
                  You may also need a way of size selecting your fragments.
                  We are currently trialing the Invitrogen E-gel Size Select system. It's very fiddly but seems to do the job.

                  Comment

                  • Coyk
                    Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 15

                    #10
                    Originally posted by SeqAA View Post
                    EB can contain EDTA.

                    you have something inhibiting enzymatic activity. If the Ion Shear isn't working, chances are the rest of the library prep will not work either.

                    That's weird! The Qiagen website says that it's "10 mM Tris-Cl, pH 8.5". Also, I find it remarkable that I could put my sample through the 454 Rapid library prep with half the amount of starting material and have no problem. All this to say, we would love a Covaris to drop into our laps soon.

                    Comment

                    • lek2k
                      Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 32

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SeqAA View Post
                      EB can contain EDTA.

                      you have something inhibiting enzymatic activity. If the Ion Shear isn't working, chances are the rest of the library prep will not work either.
                      Why don't you just elute in (treated) water to be on the safe side. If IonShear still doesn't work, you should run a NEB fragmentase experiment in parallel. Fragmentase is dirt cheap so worth a try.

                      Comment

                      • Hamid
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 108

                        #12
                        Hi CoyK,

                        With mechanical shearing methods, you do not have to worry about the sample DNA source, and concentration. I am sure we can arrange to shear your 1-2 samples for you in TE or EB to show that it is not your sample. Please contact me if you like.

                        Thank you

                        Hamid

                        Comment

                        • ScottC
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 244

                          #13
                          Buffer EB, if you source it from Qiagen, should NOT contain any EDTA. We use it for almost all stages of the Illumina sample preps, which are mostly enzymatic reactions.

                          Comment

                          • Apollo704
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 6

                            #14
                            I second the E-gel size select, or a similar tech such as the pip'n prep.
                            A Guava is particularly useful too in that you will be able to determine % templated, and also the final bead quant. two things it's good to know before loading a chip.
                            Last edited by Apollo704; 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM.

                            Comment

                            • aleferna
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 121

                              #15
                              IonShear / One Touch performance??

                              We are trying to make a decision between buying a IonTorrent or a MiSeq, the problem is that the MiSeq has much better downstream stuff(Ie Nextera / no emPCR). I like the IonTorrent, but there is no information regarding the performance of the One Touch or the IonShear lib prep. Does anybody have any experience with these, do they work at all? I mean no sense in buying a Ion Torrent if you don't have a Covaris right?

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • SEQadmin2
                                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                by SEQadmin2


                                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                ...
                                Today, 10:25 AM
                              • SEQadmin2
                                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                by SEQadmin2




                                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              27 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                              0 responses
                              24 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                              1 response
                              45 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                              1 response
                              55 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Working...