Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gene coder
    Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 18

    #1

    Reverse engineering BAM files: BAM -> FASTQ

    How can I possibly extract the reads from a BAM file and put them into a FASTQ file for simulation (maq simutrain, then maq simulate)?

    Should I just extract col. 1, 10 and 11 from a BAM file and put them in a text file along with a '+'? That is the output by read simulators.

    But does it not happen that DNA sequences and base quality sequences are reversed and/or transformed depending on the direction and strand of reads relative to reference genomes? I would have to fix that too in that case.
  • raonyguimaraes
    Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 38

    #2
    http://biostar.stackexchange.com/que...g-bam-to-fastq

    Comment

    • Richard Finney
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 701

      #3
      Check out http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16395 for bampe2fq.c and bamse2fq.c for fast implementations of bam to fastq programs. It handles your concerns about reverse complimenting the sequence and reversing the quality string.

      Comment

      • gene coder
        Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 18

        #4
        Thanks. I found that SamToFastq in Picard did the job on a chromosome of NA12878 from the 1000 Genomes Project.

        1. I separated SE reads and PE reads by library into separate BAM files using SamTools.
        2. For PE reads, I also had to get rid of read-pairs that were unmapped (bit 3) or whose mate was unmapped (bit 4) or that were not properly aligned (bit 2).
        3. I further separated the BAM files by read length.
        4. Each BAM file now contained SE or PE reads only of the same read length and the same library.
        5. Now I could run SamToFastq to convert a SAM file to a DAT file for use with MAQ simutrain.

        Those were the steps to do to get what I wanted.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        7 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        31 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        26 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...