Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build combined library for repeatmasker?

I want to to perform repeatmasking on ant genome. Ant is also included in the repeat library obtained from Repbase. The library RepeatMaskerLib.embl also contains my species. However, I also generated de novo repeat library by repeatmodeler (consensi.fa). How can I use both library for masking ant genome ? Should I concatenate RepeatMaskerLib.embl and consensi.fa or can I use both library with single command?

You can go both ways. Have not done this myself but the simplest way would be to pull put ant repeats from RepeatMaskerLib.embl and merge them with your custom repeat library (as fasta). You could then use the -lib option in RepeatMasker to supply the updated custom repeat library and mask the ant genome.

AFAIK, you cannot combine both libraries in a single command.

Comment

Hey, I think this would be a great solution, but I have a problem...
      I want to mask the repeats, but I want to classify them as well.

If I get the Repbase library in fasta format (to concatenate it with my own database and use it with -lib) then I lose the classificators (ex: #LINE/L1 --> ).

[I don't know if anyone came out with a script to put the "#" and "/" where they should be, but I don't know how, because usually there's only the Superfamily but not the Order (ex L1 but not LINE)]

I also tried to convert RepeatMaskerLib.embl to .fasta but I lose the classification info too.

I guess it won't work to put my repeats, in .embl, into RepeatMaskerLib.embl, but I haven't tried yet.

Did anyone find a way to solve this?
      Thank you for any help

Comment

or maybe...

Does anyone know how to use RepeatClassifier (part of RepeatModeler) only. Or make RepeatModeler classify a bunch of repeats already listed?

Thanks

Comment

RepeatClassifier can be run independently. If you hand it a fasta file it will generate a new file with a *.classified suffix. The output file will be a fasta file with all the id#class/subclass identifiers.

Comment

Check out the util/buildRMLibFromEMBL.pl script included in the RepeatMasker distribution. This will convert the RepeatMaskerLib.embl file into a fasta file with the "#class/subclass" nomenclature.

Comment

Thank you for your help.
              I manage to get my library classified, but I still have another doubt.

When I use Repeatmasker with a custom library (-lib) the .tbl file seems to be made with the results of masking the genome with
              Homo sapies repeats alone ("The query species was assumed to be homo"). My guess is that I can't obtain a .tbl output with a custom library (even if this library is made by RepeatModeler). Is this true?

Thank you again

Nuria
              Last edited by HeyIamNuria; 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM. Reason: The problem was not clearly explained.

Comment

If the answer to my previous question is yes (so I can't get a real .tbl output when using RepeatMasker with the -lib option) is there any script that can produce something similar to the .tbl output with RepeatMasker .out or .gff files?

(My library is classified with #class/subclass identifiers).

Thank you for your time

Nuria

Comment

Yes. You can use the RepeatMasker/util/buildSummary.pl script to reprocess the *.out file and summarize the results. The buildSummary.pl creates a similar table to the *.tbl file but also includes tabulations of each individual repeat and each seq/chr of the input.

Comment

Thank you, buildSummary seems to be what I was looking for, but I have another question.

I masked the same genome with different libraries and I used the buildSummary script to extract the repeat information from the *.out files.

But every .tbl file considers a different genome length. It is a number between the original total length and the excluding N/X-runs value. In my case 10 to 20 Mb smaller that the original length.

Consequently the % of repeats have important differences.

Can anyone help?

Thank you very much

Nuria

Comment

ok, I only had to read the buildSummary.pl script.

If someone else has the same problem, I solved using:
                      perl buildSummary.pl -useAbsoluteGenomeSize -genome tablewithscaffoldsnamesandlength.tsv -species yourspecies RMaskeroutput.out

Nuria

Comment

Hi Nuria,

I'm having the same problem. Just to be clear, you masked your genome using the RepeatModeler results and then used only the buildSummary.pl script to classify the repeats?

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses