No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging two bacteria de novo assemblies into one

Hello,

I'm trying to merge a bacterial genome assembly done by myself with Velvet with another I got from partner.

Both assemblies data come from Illumina MiSeq platform (Paired End).

I've a very good assembly, like 60~ contigs (89% genome) at this moment. I would like to use the other assembly (260~ contigs) to try filling the gaps between my contigs if it's possible so I can achieve an even better assembly.

I've tried CISA but I don't really get any better results. I don't know if there's a better method or software for merging both assemblies.

The only idea I've left is to ask my partner for rawdata files, perform myself different assemblies with his rawdata using different software like Velvet and Spades. Then try to merge them with CISA and my original assembly.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Maybe Mauve Contig Mover, though I couldn't get it to work with large numbers of contigs- my numbers were larger than yours.

Comment

Loading fasta... never ends.

Comment

This assembly merger looks very promising:
        GAM-NGS
        Genomic Assemblies Merger for NGS. Contribute to vice87/gam-ngs development by creating an account on GitHub.

Please let me know if you can get it too work.

Comment

Hi,

I'm struggling with a similar issue. I have a draft genome (sequenced with PGM) and I want to get the most of the data. Merging different assemblies (different software) is useful?

Thanks

Comment

You can merge different assemblies with Dedupe, part of the BBMap package. This will merge them and eliminate duplicate contigs, within some number of edits or percent identity that you can specify.

If you want to actually combine overlapping contigs into larger contigs, you can try a tools like Minimus or an OLC assembler. But bear in mind this can create misassemblies, which is not the case for Dedupe.

Comment

Thanks, I will try them.

It could be interesting to use a reference genome to merge assemblies, are there programs to do such thing?.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses