Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Bowtie Alignments

A former lab member assembled a number of contigs from Illumina reads using SPAdes. I have been trying to assess the depth of coverage using Bowtie2 when I noticed something interesting. I find that there are no Bowtie alignments (concordant or discordant) for the largest contig. Can anyone explain this?

Did you try taking (parts of) the large contig and blasting at NCBI to confirm if the data is from the same/similar species as you expect it to be? Are you mapping the same data back to the contigs?

Comment

I am mapping the reads used to make the contigs back on to the contigs. I get alignments for all contigs except for the largest one. I have BLASTED the contig and it is what I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by sewellh View Post
        I am mapping the reads used to make the contigs back on to the contigs. I get alignments for all contigs except for the largest one. I have BLASTED the contig and it is what I expect.
        Not sure why you are not getting any hits to the largest contig. Have you redone the reference indexing to verify that the contig is included (and there were no errors with the index creation) and/or tried a different aligner?

Comment

Yes, I redid it. Someone mentioned that SPAdes does error correcting on the reads prior to assembly which might result in differences, so I'm trying today to run the error correction on the raw reads before the Bowtie2 alignment.

Comment

It still seems odd that it is affecting only that contig and nothing is aligning. How are you determining that nothing is aligning (by inspecting the BAM)?

Comment

Yeah, by inspecting the SAM file.

Comment

1) Have you verified that all of the contigs have unique, correctly-formatted names?
                2) Does the contig look normal to you - high complexity, mainly defined bases, rather than e.g. a homopolymer or mostly-N sequence?
                3) Is it possible that this contig is a replicate of other contigs? Even though it's bigger, it could be fully covered by other contigs. So, do any other contigs map to it?
                4) Is it highly repetitive such that reads aligning to it might exceed the maximum number of allowed alignments?

Comment

Yes, the contigs have uniqe and correctly formatted names. But even when I try to just map the reads to the single large contig, I get no matches.

It doesn't look like this contig is a replicate of others but it does have a 3-4 copies of a ~500 nt fragment within itself. Does that mean that this contig was made incorrectly or that there is something else I should do? I would would expect that if I tried to align the raw reads just to single contig that I would get some alignments.

Update: Using the resulting fastq files from the Hammer error correcting, I still get no Bowtie alignments to that contig

Comment

Sounds like a bug, but I don't know if it's in the assembler or aligner. I suggest trying a different aligner such as BBMap; and be sure to set the "ambig=all" flag so that reads without a unique best mapping site get mapped to all top-scoring sites.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I'll try out BBMap. If you are curious at all to look at the contigs, they're on JGI. The largest is:
                      >gi|589096183|gb|JARN01000011.1| Dehalococcoidia bacterium DscP2 WGS:JARN01:comHGAPfinal_Contig11_1.11, whole genome shotgun sequence

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses