No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journalist request: An article on analysis of transcriptome data

Hello,

I am a freelance science writer (http://jeffreyperkel.com).

I am working with The Scientist magazine (www.the-scientist.com) on an article about how non-experts can download and make use of transcriptome (and related) datasets from both microarrays and next-gen sequencing experiments. (For instance, people who might want to know, for instance, if a particular gene is expressed in a particular tissue or disease state, and whether two genes are coexpressed.)

I was hoping to find researchers on SEQanswers who might have had these problems and could talk about how they solved them, or be able to discuss some of the key issues these researchers face and how to address them.

My deadline is Friday, 24 June. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are able to speak with me on this topic (or can suggest researchers I might try offline.)

Thank you, and best regards,
    Jeffrey Perkel
    Jeffrey Perkel, science writer and editor

[email protected]

Hi Jeffrey!

I've collapsed your post into one and moved it into the Bioinformatics forum, as well as made it an announcement to get wide notice across the site. Good luck!

FYI everyone else: SEQanswers is unaffiliated with this request...

Comment

That's quite an ask!

Non-experts are hardly going to be capable of learning command line Linux programs and bioinformatics capabilities rapidly enough to keep them interested. Even colleagues with PhDs and years of training in molecular biology struggle majorly. It may be more realistic to point non-experts towards online catalogues of variation and gene expression.

Perhaps have a look at the ENCODE project, UCSC genome browser and BioGPS http://biogps.gnf.org/

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks @colindaven, that's a good point! Would you be willing to speak with me about these issues offline? I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Jeff

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses