Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westerman View Post
    @danwiththeplan: Your question doesn't make much sense since in this forum thread N50 is also known as L50. Since they are one and the same then there is no 'Whaaa?' involved -- they both represent a length in bases. Now if you have a paper you are reading that uses L50 in a difference sense then give us a reference to the paper so we can see what they mean. ....
    Having had my attention brought back to this thread and having started using stats.sh from BBtools a lot more, I do note that stats.sh uses N/L50 to designate the Number of fragments at or above the Length50 cutoff.

ABySS uses the terms N50 and n:N50 for the same information. I suspect that most programs use 'N50' for the length information and something else for the number information. However Brian's nomenclature in BBtools makes good sense as well.

Comment

I maintain that using "L" to denote a number and "N" to denote a length are just wrong, and I don't know how that got started. So I always define L50 as a length and N50 as a number. But Quast, for example, does use "L50" to indicate the number of contigs and "N50" to denote a length.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
        I maintain that using "L" to denote a number and "N" to denote a length are just wrong, and I don't know how that got started...
        Really wish SEQanswers had a mechanism to "like" comments.

Comment

I maintain that using "L" to denote a number and "N" to denote a length are just wrong, and I don't know how that got started. So I always define L50 as a length and N50 as a number. But Quast, for example, does use "L50" to indicate the number of contigs and "N50" to denote a length.

You'll just love to know that the latest version of abyss-fac has ditched 'n:N50' (for the number) and 'N50' (for the length) in favor of 'L50' (for the number) and keeping 'N50' (length). Yes opposite of what you maintain and what makes logical sense.

Comment

I maintain that using "L" to denote a number and "N" to denote a length are just wrong, and I don't know how that got started.
            I believe the precedent for this is in the 2001 publication of the human genome paper (in Nature): http://www.nature.com/nature/journal.../409860a0.html

"We used a statistic called the ‘N50 length’, defined as the largest length L such that 50% of all nucleotides are contained in contigs of size at least L."

Many others started using N50 after this publication, but I'm assuming that L50 for length came afterwards. So we now have a confusing situation, but unless someone can come up with a pre-2001 citation for use of L50, I suggest people stick with N50 for length and L50 for number of sequences (confusing though it is).

Comment

I've updated my blog post about this to include new evidence which also supports that N50 came first, and was first used in 2001.

Comment

Clarification is stats.sh BBTools

Hello,
                I think that makes sense and just want to verify that in the BBTools stats.sh and statswrapper.sh N50 is for counts and L50 is for length. Is that correct?
                Thanks so much,
                René

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses