Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The necessarity of between-sample normalization?

I'm currently perform some analyses involving cross-project expression data. Because it involves linear equations, we have decided to take log(TPM) as that algorithm's input.

While using older workflows involving rsubread or htseq-count would always require us to perform between-sample normalization, newer transcript quantification tools such as RSEM, Kalisto and Salmon gives out reads and (at a minimum) TPM as their raw output.

But even in that case, should I take out the reads, normalize it with DESeq2/edgeR, and calculate the TPMs instead? I'm not particularly comfortable with not doing between-sample normalizations, but I have a feeling that it's the norm these days.

Somebody more knowledgeable may correct me, but the statistical methods used by DESeq2 rely on having the raw read counts to calculate power and significance, and therefore can't use normalized values like TPM (There's a huge statistical difference in seeing one count in a million reads vs a thousand counts in a billion that's lost in normalization)

Comment

Originally posted by cmbetts View Post
      Somebody more knowledgeable may correct me, but the statistical methods used by DESeq2 rely on having the raw read counts to calculate power and significance, and therefore can't use normalized values like TPM (There's a huge statistical difference in seeing one count in a million reads vs a thousand counts in a billion that's lost in normalization)
      Of course I know things like DESeq2 can't take TPM. The options I mentioned above are:
      1. Take the TPM from the quantifier directly to downstream.
      2. Take the expected read count from the quantifier, normalized by DESeq2 (etc), and then calculate TPM from this normalized number.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses