Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq v3 2x300 run, Low PF and Q30

I recently ran a ~200-400bp library prepped with NexteraXT on the MiSeq using reagents kit v3 for a 2x300 run, paired end, dual index reads: 10pM pooled library with 15% 10pM phiX.

I got a high cluster density of 1185 k/mm2 with only 27% clusters PF and >=Q30 14%.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting? Could this come from old kits or bubbles on the flowcell, would this even be visible? I did a qPCR (KAPA library quantification) before dilution all samples to 4nM. The qPCR worked fine, so there must be an error afterwards or with the kit.
    Could it be that there was a DNase destroying the amplicons?

I'm curious about your ideas and answers.

Thanks in advance
    Sarah
    Attached Files

Have you checked the actual insert size of your library? It is possible that you have inserts significantly shorter than you expect them to be. That can explain the precipitous drop in Q score on R2.

You can check post #2 in this thread to see how you can calculate that information.

This run can also be borderline overloaded. That cluster density number is not very accurate once you get next the upper spec limit. Have you had Illumina tech support look at this run?

Comment

Thank you for your reply. We have done the sequencing of this amplicon multiplex for many times and know the actual sizes. But are the moment the demultiplexing is problematic because it's too less reads.
      The run could be overloaded but we have also done the sequencing with equal samples and even more input. It was very overloaded but we did get a lot of clusters passing filter (but a bad Q30). Now we have a very low clusters passing filter. So I think that overloading could not be the main issue.
      No, we have not (yet) been in touch with tech support. I'm still hoping that the clues here could lead to an explanation.

Comment

If you have done similar sequencing successfully in the past then I suggest that you contact Illumina tech support and have them look at the run. This may turn out to be a hardware related problem on the sequencer.

Comment

have you looked at the thumbnails? I'd guess your cluster density is higher than reported.
          Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Thumbnails of the tiles look ok, or let's say, they don't look as bad as the very overclustered run before. But they don' look balanced.
            Attached Files

Comment

Can you post the %base graph?

Comment

This one? I am not sure which one you want
                Attached Files

Comment

It's strange that we can read the first bases of R1, but no R4 and just a few Indices (R2+R3). Looks like the sequencing could not get read out like something intereferred with the optics.

I am very concerned about the run and my mind starts to melt, so please excuse this question: If I would have had trouble with the Index-PCR, then the adapters never would have gotten fixed on the flowcell, right? I want to exclude errors while preparing the run.

Comment

That's intensity. I was talking about the graph that is from % Base, which is selectable in the menu from the gray button under Intensity.

Still, though, in looking at this graph it appears you don't have a short insert but you do have sort've an odd 3-steps down to 0 intensity.

It looks to me like a hardware issue.

Comment

Ok, thank you for your opinion. The longer I check all circumstances, the more it gets clear that the problem was not the DNA. Because at first the bases looked fine.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What's troubling to me is that you don't have any intensity in read 2, which should always show if you have at least a read 1, regardless of index.

Have you run any of the onboard diagnostic tests?

Comment

@Sarah: Do you not have a maintenance contract on this MiSeq with Illumina? If you do then you should go ahead and let tech support have a look at this run.

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
                            What's troubling to me is that you don't have any intensity in read 2, which should always show if you have at least a read 1, regardless of index.

Have you run any of the onboard diagnostic tests?
                            Our bioinformatician told me we have 300 bp read 1 and read 2 but he main part is not Q30 or even Q20. So probably the DNA-bases part worked finde but the optics couldn't recognize anything...

No I did not know that those tests even exist...

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              @Sarah: Do you not have a maintenance contract on this MiSeq with Illumina? If you do then you should go ahead and let tech support have a look at this run.
                              It's not our MiSeq, we just use it from our cooperation partner. I'll check if they have a maintenance contract with Illumina. Nevertheless, I wrote tech support an email with all details.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses