Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to multiplex Illumina matepair libraries?

Hi,

Could anybody help me with this: We would like to make a multiplexed matepair library (with insert size of 3kb). We were trying to do this by using the multiplex sample prep kit from Illumina (since there is no TruSeq protocol yet for matepair sequencing) but we fail to get good results. Has anybody ever done this? Or is there something else we can do instead of this?

Thanks!

We used a Roche 454 "paired end" (really mate end) preparation kit but used TruSeq adapters instead of Roche adapters. (And, obviously, sheared the circularized DNA to a smaller size than called for the the 454 protocol.)

It worked okay. Actually the data it produced was very good, but the "insert" sizes were much shorter, for the most part, than the size of the initial DNA fragmentation. (1.4 kb instead of 7 kb). But we did not do a size selection prior to circularization, so we will try that next time.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply! If possible, could you give me some more details about your customized protocol?

Thanks!

Comment

Well, there is not much more to it than what I described.

Actually I heard that a core at another university was doing this. We had a Roche PE kit on hand and pretty much followed the directions there. Obviously, during the second shearing step (post-circularization) we sheared the DNA smaller than called for in the Roche protocol. Oh, do I need to add, that we do not add the extra DNA from an unknown source for the second shearing that is called for in the Roche protocol? We used the sonication protocol we normally use for our Illumina PE libraries. Then we had to add A-tailing to the "end polishing" part of the protocol and used Illumina TruSeq adapters.

Because the number of read pairs we would collect with an Illumina sequencer was 10-100x more than with a 454, we pooled a couple of reactions. Nevertheless it looked like we were bottoming out the resulting library with only 1/2 of a lane of sequence. Also, like I said earlier, instead of having the pairs mostly 7 kb apart, they were mostly 1-2 kb apart. Suggesting that we needed to add an agarose gel size selection to the protocol. And, as is apparently not uncommon for libraries of this type, about 1/3rd of them ended up PE, instead of ME.

I don't like the Illumina method because they don't use a center adapter that allows identification of the circularization ligation junction informatically. But their method may be more cost-effective, I suppose. I have not run the numbers.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses