Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small DNA sample library prep

Could somebody give me an advise how to prepare Titanium library using small DNA sample size < 0.5ug.
    Thanks!

I'm not sure you will be able to do that with quantities that small. I would suggest you use genomiphi or something to amplify your DNA.

If you want to give it try, you should find some other way of nebulizing the DNA (as the yield is fairly poor using compressed Nitrogen). Try some kind of mechanical shredder. Downstream from that, your main problem will be seeing your DNA on a chip, but as long as you trust that you have the size range you want, then you can do the rest of the prep blind. You might have to use qPCR to accurately quantify it though.

See these references:

Recently developed techniques allow genomic DNA sequencing from single microbial cells [Lasken RS: Single-cell genomic sequencing using multiple displacement amplification. Curr Opin Microbiol 2007, 10:510-516]. Here, we focus on research strategies for putting these methods into practice in the lab …

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for your input gaster!
      I also thought about using Covaris to nebulize DNA since it should give better fragments size distribution vs nitrogen nebulization. When I'll optimize the Covaris fragmentation, I can live without DNA chip.
      During last step of ssDNA prep after melting away ssDNA I'm planning to use heat to disrupt streptavidin-biotin bond and thus increase the yield of ssDNA library.
      What do you think about this: since the speed of reaction directly determined by concentration of reagents, and I use about 10 times less DNA then suggested by protocol, should I also increase the time of all steps during library prep?

Comment

I don't quite understand. I haven't done a Titanium prep yet, but previously you just wanted the non-biotinylated ssDNA. The biotin-bound strand was discarded. This step makes sure the adaptors are correctly bound.

If you do try heat to break that bond, I would definitely try to optimize it. I have found in the past that to break that bond you have to go fairly high (98 degrees).

A 454 tech told me that the real hurtle (as far starting quantity goes) is the correct sizing of the fragments. If you can be sure that you have correctly sized fragments, you can do the rest with really low amounts of template.

Good Luck.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses