Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruSeq PCR enrichment primers

Does anyone know the sequences of the PCR enrichment primers from the Illumina TruSeq kit (the PPC primers)? I have the adaptor sequences, so I know what the 5' end of each sequence should be, but I don't know how long they are.

Additional info:
    I tried the sequences from the OpenWetWare protocol in this thread:
    Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

They are as follows:
    P5_PCR: AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAG
    P7_PCR: CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAG
    These do amplify the library, but they are very inefficient compared to the PPC primers in the kit.

I have seen other examples of primers in the literature that are longer. However, the longer ones that I have seen include the region of P7 where the index is. I hope I do not need to make a separate P7 primer for each index in order to preserve my ability to multiplex. I'm sure that is not how the PPC primers work.

Thanks!

Sean

Re:

Hi seangallaher,

I need to order Truseq PCR primers soon.

Could you provide a gel picture of PCR amplified P5 & P7 PCR primers and PPC primers?

Thanks,

Comment

From a paper

We use the sequences we got from a paper by Geller from April 2011. I was only given the appendix so I am not sure but I assume the paper is called "High Throughput Indexed Library Preparation and Pooled Agilent Exome Enrichment" It has the sequences of the PCR primers as well as the adapter sequences. We use them here and they work very well.

That being said-can I say that they re exactly what is in the Illumina primer cocktail-no, but they work for us and we are a core facility so we make many libraries.

Comment

Hi Kwaraska,

Do you use PCR primers with phosphorothilated modification?

Comment

PCR primers

No the PCR primers we just use HPLC purified, but we do add the phosphothioate to the adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by ageneheo View Post
            Hi seangallaher,

I need to order Truseq PCR primers soon.

Could you provide a gel picture of PCR amplified P5 & P7 PCR primers and PPC primers?

Thanks,
            Here is a PCR reaction I did on a qPCR thermocycler with added SYBR green. I used Phusion polymerase with the P5/P7 primers vs. the Illumina reagents and the same template. The Phusion reaction is retarded by over 11 cycles!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
              We use the sequences we got from a paper by Geller from April 2011. I was only given the appendix so I am not sure but I assume the paper is called "High Throughput Indexed Library Preparation and Pooled Agilent Exome Enrichment" It has the sequences of the PCR primers as well as the adapter sequences. We use them here and they work very well.

That being said-can I say that they re exactly what is in the Illumina primer cocktail-no, but they work for us and we are a core facility so we make many libraries.
              Those are the same primers (P5 and P7) that I tried (albeit with Phusion polymerase). Do you use the same reagents (Herculase II polymerase) and thermocycler protocol as they indicate in the Geller protocol?

Comment

No-we use the Kapa Master Mix. We found it better for GC rich templates so it became our standard.

Comment

We also use the Kapa-Hifi mastermix, an annealing temperature of 62 degrees, and PCR primers as detailed in:

Actually, our PCR-Primer1 is two bases shorter and ends with "...TACAC".

For phusion, the recomended annealing temperature is 65 degrees, but this enzyme introduces strong GC biases.

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
                  No-we use the Kapa Master Mix. We found it better for GC rich templates so it became our standard.

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
                    We also use the Kapa-Hifi mastermix, an annealing temperature of 62 degrees, and PCR primers as detailed in:

Actually, our PCR-Primer1 is two bases shorter and ends with "...TACAC".

For phusion, the recomended annealing temperature is 65 degrees, but this enzyme introduces strong GC biases.

http://www.biotechniques.com/Biotech...es-326018.html
                    Thanks for the info, but I'm confused. If I am not mistaken, the last 3 nt of PCR primer 2.0 in the Tufts protocol overlap with the index. Have you used that primer with indexed libraries? If I'm right, those primers would change the index so that 1/2 of it is the same in every library?

Comment

Hi Sean,
                      PCR primer 1 is homologous to the 5'end of the universal adapter in the Tufts protocol.
                      PCR primer 2 is homologous to the inverse complement of the barcoded adapter - to the 3'end as it is displayed in the protocol on page 3. It does not overlap with the barcode.

Originally posted by seangallaher View Post
                      Thanks for the info, but I'm confused. If I am not mistaken, the last 3 nt of PCR primer 2.0 in the Tufts protocol overlap with the index. Have you used that primer with indexed libraries? If I'm right, those primers would change the index so that 1/2 of it is the same in every library?

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
                        Hi Sean,
                        PCR primer 1 is homologous to the 5'end of the universal adapter in the Tufts protocol.
                        PCR primer 2 is homologous to the inverse complement of the barcoded adapter - to the 3'end as it is displayed in the protocol on page 3. It does not overlap with the barcode.
                        I mapped it out again, and you are absolutely correct.

One more question: Why did you shorten PCR-primer1? To favorably alter the melting temperature? Did you try it both with and without the extra two nucleotides?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

Hi Sean,

there was no specific reason for the shorter primer. We got the sequences like this from another lab.

Comment

I've not compared the sequences, but I use a 3' shortened version of P5 when I'm amplifying my libraries, just to bring the Tm in line with P7.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses