No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between coverage, depth of coverage and targeted coverage

Hi everybody,

I have a question about coverage, depth of coverage and targeted coverage.
    What is the difference between those three?

If the targeted coverage, for example, is X25000, does it mean that the amount of reads is 25,000 reads?
    And which one is better or more specific, X1000 coverage or X25000?

I am sorry if I perhaps ask a stupid question, please not that I am very new at this and my background is not bioinformatics.

Regards,
    Hanco

Targeted coverage would normally imply the coverage you were aiming for with an experiment - i.e. in a perfect experiment with perfect pooling you would achieve this coverage. However you don't get perfect experiments, so you may not achieve it.

Coverage and depth of coverage mean the same thing.

Your coverage is not only related to the number of reads, but the size of the thing you are trying to sequence.

If you have a 100bp region covered by 1 100base read, then the coverage is 1x.
    If you have a 200bp region covered by 1 100base read, then the coverage is 0.5x

More coverage is better for most applications, with the possible exception of genome assembly.
    Last edited by Bukowski; 10-19-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your clear explanation.

I have another question.
      So can I decide whether I have a good data based on coverage?
      For example, I have 200bp region covered by 30 200base read, that mean I have coverage 30X. How can I know that this 30X coverage is good or not?

Again, thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Comment

I assume this relates to variant calling?

Firstly each base of each read will have a base quality score.
        Each read will have a mapping score.

Whether something is 'good or not' is dependent on the application. Calling variants in a region where your read mapping qualities are low, or your base quality scores are low, is more likely to result in false positives.

However if you're using the data for genotyping, each variant will have a quality score which will take all this information into account.

Required coverage is driven by application. 30x is fine for calling germline SNPs in diploid model organisms. >1000x is fine for calling somatic SNPs with a variant allele frequency of 5% - however you can't call somatic variants of that nature with 30x coverage (not enough data).

Coverage is only *one* metric that you need to use when assessing the quality of your dataset.

Comment

Yes, actually my question relates to variant calling.

I am using Ion PGM Ampliseq Cancer Panel Hotspot v2 and Torrent Variant Caller.
          Usually I have only few number of coverage, like I mentioned before, 30 200base reads. Sometimes this kind of data will not appear in TVC. I was wondering if the coverage of my data is too low or do I set the stringency too high.

I always set the variant frequency to "somatic" but I am little confused because in the user guide said that for somatic workflows the threshold is set to 4% frequency for SNPs and 20% for indels. But as you can see in the picture, the minimum variant allele is 0.02 (is it equal to 20%?).

I am sorry if my questions is out of the original topic.
          Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

Comment

I think 0.02 refers to 2% in this context, not 20%

The min_coverage stated will not show variants at less than 100x (I assume, I've never used TVC)

Comment

Yes, I thought so too. That is why I get so confused. These number all automatically set when I chose "somatic" mode.
              I suppose I should make another thread to discuss about this.

Anyway, thank you so much for all your kind help and clear explanations. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses