No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq: rRNA Depletion, Double riboZero or Double RiboMinus

Hi,
    I did a RNA-seq sample on Illumina GA2x: 15 years old Tumor FFPE sample. The RNA extraction give a very low RIN score analysing on the BioAnalyser RIN +/-1.5.
    I used the EPICENTRE combination of RIBO-ZERO with SCRIPTSEQ v2. Good results 30-50% mapped reads, but still 35% related to rRNA. Is there a protocol to remove more rRNA out of the sample. Doing the Depletion twice, combinations Ribo-Zero with RiboMinus or other manors to increase the mapped reads?
    thanks
    c

Hi cvhove,
    We have also done RNA-Seq on old (up to 20 years) tumor FFPE samples using Ribo-Zero in combination with ScriptSeq. In general we see 70-90% of the reads mapping to the human transcriptome set from ensembl (not including rRNA) and a variable fraction of the un-mapped reads mapping to rRNA after de-novo assembly.
    Be aware that the rRNA reads can be due to 1) insufficient removal of rRNA during Ribo-Zero, or 2) "leaking" of the Ribo-Zero probes into ScriptSeq resulting in rRNA reads. Try to contact Epicentre for support.
    Cheers, Jakob

Comment

Hello,

We have had very good luck removing rRNA from degraded samples using DSN treatment. In degraded samples we find that DSN works much better than Ribo-Zero often dropping the final rRNA to <5%. I would strongly recommend against multiple rounds of Ribo-Zero as we have lost entire samples attempting it.

Comment

Hi zwb,
        We were also considering DSN, but skipped it due to the potentiel effects on higly expressed transcripts. Have you tried to compare profiles of DSN vs non-DSN to see if the expression levels of highly expressed transcripts are underestimated in DSN?
        /Jakob

Comment

We find that the most highly expressed genes are still the most highly expressed genes after DSN treamtent. So if you look at a metric like the top 10 most highly expressed genes before and after DSN the lists contain the same genes in the same order. While the expression levels of the most highly expressed genes do even out somewhat, it seems like the vast majority of what you are removing is rRNA and not the mRNA you are interested in. In addition, we find many hundreds of low expression level genes that we were not able to see before regardless of sequencing depth. I hope this helps.

ZWB

Comment

Hi Jakob,
            We used the Turbo DNase from Ambion and followed by clean-up with RNAeasy mini kit. Then we used the Terminator exonuclease (because we do not have access to the RiboZero kit) and constructed the libraries with the ScriptSeq kit. Of course our results were not good and the libraries were degraded. Any advice on how to deplete the RNA without using Ribozero? I am planning to remove the RNA with the on-column protocol from the RNAeasy mini kit from Qiagen. However, I am not sure if I can directly proceed to the library construction without depleting. Thanks a lot for your advice!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses