Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DNA extracted by kit contain only nucleus DNA?

Hey, I am very new, please bare with my stupid question. Does the DNA extracted by extraction kit contain only nuclear DNA? Or it also contain organalle DNA, such as mitochondrial DNA and plasmid DNA?
    Thanks
    Last edited by bbsinfo; 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM.

Originally posted by bbsinfo View Post
    Hey, I am very new, please bare with my stupid question. Does the DNA extracted by extraction kit contain only nucleus DNA? Or it also contain organalle DNA, such as mitochondrial DNA and plasmid DNA?
    Not that i've used kits, but given the major pain that organelle DNA usually is, you're unlikely to get rid of it without major effort - selective lysing, centrifuge gradients etc.

Even then, you're talking "enriched for nuclear DNA" rather than "pure nuclear DNA".

Plant DNA extraction, depending on the species, also has to deal with a lot of secondary metabolites, which can require quite a brew of counter-measures in the buffers.

Comment

I think it depends on the kit. Unless the kit specifies nuclear DNA you're probably getting everything. I do lots of RNA extraction and that is the case. I have to add extra steps to get just nuclear RNA.

Comment

Originally posted by tonybolger View Post
        you're unlikely to get rid of it without major effort - selective lysing, centrifuge gradients etc.
        You have to do extra selective lysing or centrifuge before you perticipate your DNA pallets, am I right? Many thanks!

Comment

And I also have another confusion. I realized that some people believe that if you mention "genomic DNA" that only means nuclear DNA. But I have read paper, in which people use "genomic DNA" to refer both nuclear DNA, and organelle DNA.
          So what is more precise? Thanks

Comment

The vast majority of kits designed to isolate just double stranded DNA, which means any kind of dsDNA. Because mtDNA present in larger molar amounts per cell, you get more copies of mtDNA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses