View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
scbaker
Shawn Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
Overall my conversation was pretty disappointing as far as new info (although the gentleman I talked to resisted a pretty good grilling from me and a 454/Roche product manager).

Points from my conversation that I can remember...
  • GridION == "4-5x more sensors" than the MinION (no comparative runtime specs).
  • GridION can sip from a 96 well plate full of samples (this was demo'd as a flat bottom black microtiter plate with no septa...hmmm).
  • Acquisition speed == "bases per second".
  • The above picture suggesting sample prep is just a "10bp overhang" is not correct and not confirmed
  • The prototypes of the MinION ended up much larger than shown at AGBT due to heat issues (had to "add fans").
  • They will not confirm which gating protein (exo or phi29) or which pore (mspA or a-HL), but that the gate protein is not covalently coupled to the pore. (which strongly suggests to me that it is phi29...the exo-release method would undoubtedly need exquisite positioning for efficient detection)
  • According to the CEO, the DNA input concentration is "nanomolar". This makes sense to be given the binding kinetics of phi29 to it's binding site...but translates into high concentrations for a single molecule platform. When questioned about the possibility of doing very dilute samples where all the molecules matter, he suggested some method of on-chip enrichment/concentration (?????).
  • They are cagey about data release because they want to (my paraphasing) "release data when it's ready"
Anyway, that's all I got. The ratio of ([booth girls] + [Apple-esque brushed aluminum] + [blinky lights]) to (data) was undefined...so that seems to speak for itself.
Thanks for summarizing for those of us who couldn't be at ASHG. All indications up to now have been for ONT using a highly modified version of a-HL, so I'd be surprised if the first version actually uses mspA. In terms of the exonuclease method, I'm pretty sure it's been abandoned (or put waaaay back on the backburner - hence the 'arbitration hearing' between ONT and Illumina).
scbaker is offline   Reply With Quote