Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perplexed!

Ok so this isn't really a problem per-say but i was just curious as to what it really means....

I ran picsrd's insert size metrics on my PE RNA Seq data (mapped to the Ensembl Transcriptome model) and iin the results i get the size of largest insert as 11kb.....

does this mean that a read in a pair has mapped to 1 point and its mate has mapped to another gene somewhere else in the consolidated transcriptome reference, 11kb away, or does it means something else altogether?

What makes you think that 11kb would indicate a different gene. I'm not sure how informative the insert size metric would be on RNAseq data, given that it's going to be spliced. 11kb could easily be the next exon. Just as an example, I have single reads that span 15kb, simply because of splicing.
    Last edited by dpryan; 07-30-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

HEy thanks for your reply! Did you map your RNA Seq data to a trasncriptome reference or to the HG18/19 Human Genome reference?

I've mapped my data to the Ensembl Transcriptome reference so shouldn't the introns not be present in it at all? So there's no question of it being so far away due to splicing.

Comment

Generally you would map things to the genome with a splicing aware aligner (tophat2/bowtie2, gsnap, etc.). What makes you think that Ensembl has all of the existing splices for a gene? It's quite possible that you have reads covering splicing events that are unannotated. It's also possible that you just have on read misaligned. It's often helpful to look at the data in IGV or similar to get a better feel for these sorts of things.

Comment

You got a point there! It's not 100% only exons and there may be unannotated regions. I hadn't considered that.

And yeah i'm running tophat now. I ran a BWA of my reads onto the trscpt ref first to see what sort of duplication rate i'm really looking at.

will check out the alignment on IGV asap!

Thanx a ton!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses