Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your own genome

Just a little thread to toss around some ideas!

If you could sequence your own whole genome and analyze it, what would be on the list of things you'd want to search for? Where (databases) would you compare it to look for SNPs of significance, or rearrangements that might give you some sort of information?

With all these companies now offering full genome sequencing and counseling, it makes me wonder what they'd be offering that a person with access to a sequencer and basic bioinformatic knowledge wouldn't be able to do on their own time.

$350k for my own genome is a lot more expensive than a bottle of whiskey and some DNA passed off to a sequencing tech is what I'm saying!

Originally posted by kmewis View Post
    If you could sequence your own whole genome and analyze it, what would be on the list of things you'd want to search for? Where (databases) would you compare it to look for SNPs of significance, or rearrangements that might give you some sort of information?
    If I could do, I will search for the loci that contributed to the risk of asthma and relative disease. But, I didn't know how to get reference! Maybe I will sequence all the member of our family to trace the loci of asthma!

Comment

Originally posted by kmewis View Post
      With all these companies now offering full genome sequencing and counseling, it makes me wonder what they'd be offering that a person with access to a sequencer and basic bioinformatic knowledge wouldn't be able to do on their own time.
      You could probably get more information if you did it yourself. The reports that they give only include risk alleles for a hand-full of diseases from what I have seen, depends on the vendor I guess tho.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses