No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of read in RNA-seq?

another biologist here.

I got RNA sequence (in .txt format) back from sequencing facility. Each file of 2 lanes high throughput sequencing is nearly 25GB.

I want to know the number of read in each file. Which programmer or code I should use.

thanks you.

Try the LINUX command "wc -l <filename>". This will count the number of lines in the file. If the file is in fastq format, you will have to divide the number of lines by 4. This will give you the number of reads.

Comment

why we use -l in the command?
      Last edited by ashiq.hussain; 07-12-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

its not -1 it is -l and the command wc -l counts the number of lines in the file. The easiest way to find out the number of reads in a fastq file with one command is grep "@" -c <filename>. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by upendra_35 View Post
          its not -1 it is -l and the command wc -l counts the number of lines in the file. The easiest way to find out the number of reads in a fastq file with one command is grep "@" -c <filename>. Hope this helps
          This will not work! The '@' character may appear in fastq quality lines as well as the seq-id line. See this thread for a discussion on the problems of using grep to count reads in fastq files.

Comment

thank you all.

Comment

Sorry I missed "^" with @. It should be grep "^@" -c <filename>. However I agree with kmcarr that '@' is a character that may appear in fastq quality lines as well (sometimes at the start of the line) and so even that may not work. So the best way to do it is in two lines: wc -l <filename> followed by expr <no.of.lines> / 4

Comment

compressed files

Does it work with .gz files, or do I have to unpack them?

Comment

no use the power of piping

gzip -d -c input.fastq.gz | wc -l

Comment

I don't mean to revive a closed thread, just in case someone needs to know the number of lines in multiple compressed fastq files...

for file in *.bz2; do echo $file; b=$(bzcat $file | wc -l); echo $(($b/4)); done;

Comment

Great. Thanks. Very useful for me.

Comment

I didn't intend to revive this thread, but as I was searching for a solution to automatize the fastq read counting process, this solution may come in handy to some :

for i in `find . -name "*.fastq"`; do echo "$i" >> project_nbread.txt; egrep -c "`head -n 1 $i | awk -F '[@:]' '{ print $2 } '`" $i >> project_nbread.txt ; done
                        In the case of only one file, you can use this :
                        egrep -c "`head -n 1 file.fastq | awk -F '[@:]' '{ print $2 } '`" file.fastq
                        This solution will count the number of lines where the id is found in the header of a fastq seq, i.e the number of fastq reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses