Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes thats right.
    The gene i investigated is not the sole gene related to the phenotype. but my project is to determine the effect of the expression of this one gene on the phenotype.
    gene expression was carried out using real time qPCR measuring relative expression (using TaqMan MGB probes)
    What do you mean with "2) how about the ones with extremely low expression levels? "
    thanks

Comment

Interesting discussion, and good idea to occasionally go back to the basics here on the forum.

A few more points:

If a cell want to change its protein inventory in reaction to a stimulus, it can do so by changing the production, the translation or the degradation of mRNA. So, if you want to know how the cell reacts to a stimulus, one would want to measure all three processes genome-wide in control and treatment samples and check where one sees a statistically significant change. Of course, we can only measure mRNA level (i.e., the combined effect of production and degradation) in a convenient way, so we may miss the cell's main response mechanism. However, if we find something, we can be sure that it is in fact a genuine response of the cell to the stimulus (even though we should not jump to the conclusion that it is the functional aspect of the response rather than a byproduct).

Just to be clear: By statistical significance, I mean that we can be confident that the change in expression level when comparing treatment with control is large enough that it is unlikely to be due to the random variation in expression that we also see when comparing replicates. To test for this, we need a test that uses replicates to estimate this within-group noise, and Fisher's exact test (mentioned in the original post) does not fulfill this criterion and hence is not suitable.

By biological significance, we mean that the observed effect is likely to be a functional part of the cell's response to the stimulus, as opposed to a mere byproduct, such as an unrelated downstream effect of the actual response. A reasonable indicator for this is in fact that the fold change is not too small, and a plausible veto might be that the change is unlikely to cause changes in protein abundance, even though I do not think that saturation of the translation machinery is a common effect. (Look at ribosomal proteins: Why would the cell produce such masses of mRNA, orders of magnitude more than average genes, if it hadn't the resources to translate them all.)

Finally: The mass-spec folks have made some amazing advances recently, and comparing mRNA and protein levels in at least a semi-genomewide fashion will be a big topic soon, I think. A limitation here will be that we need time courses for this. After all, we do not expect mRNA levels to be proportional to protein levels, but to be proportional to the derivative with respect to time of the protein level.
      Last edited by Simon Anders; 04-14-2011, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
        Interesting discussion, and good idea to occasionally go back to the basics here on the forum.

A few more points:

If a cell want to change its protein inventory in reaction to a stimulus, it can do so by changing the production, the translation or the degradation of mRNA. So, if you want to know how the cell reacts to a stimulus, one would want to measure all three processes genome-wide in control and treatment samples and check where one sees a statistically significant change. Of course, we can only measure mRNA level (i.e., the combined effect of production and degradation) in a convenient way, so we may miss the cell's main response mechanism. However, if we find something, we can be sure that it is in fact a genuine response of the cell to the stimulus (even though we should not jump to the conclusion that it is the functional aspect of the response rather than a byproduct).

Just to be clear: By statistical significance, I mean that we can be confident that the change in expression level when comparing treatment with control is large enough that it is unlikely to be due to the random variation in expression that we also see when comparing replicates. To test for this, we need a test that uses replicates to estimate this within-group noise, and Fisher's exact test (mentioned in the original post) does not fulfill this criterion and hence is not suitable.

By biological significance, we mean that the observed effect is likely to be a functional part of the cell's response to the stimulus, as opposed to a mere byproduct, such as an unrelated downstream effect of the actual response. A reasonable indicator for this is in fact that the fold change is not too small, and a plausible veto might be that the change is unlikely to cause changes in protein abundance, even though I do not think that saturation of the translation machinery is a common effect. (Look at ribosomal proteins: Why would the cell produce such masses of mRNA, orders of magnitude more than average genes, if it hadn't the resources to translate them all.)

Finally: The mass-spec folks have made some amazing advances recently, and comparing mRNA and protein levels in at least a semi-genomewide fashion will be a big topic soon, I think. A limitation here will be that we need time courses for this. After all, we do not expect mRNA levels to be proportional to protein levels, but to be proportional to the derivative with respect to time of the protein level.
        I totally agree with Simon's points. It is more important to go back to the original biological questions when analyzing biological data.

In my mind, once people can image all the processes that occur in cells between molecules, how DNA goes into protein products will be clear. However, nowadays, due to the limitation of current technologies, we can only measure gene expression levels at the RNA level and seldom at the protein level, which is far from the whole picture. The lack of knowledge makes inferences very noisy, and many discoveries are not believable. The combination of RNA-seq and mass-spec will be a way helps to solve this issue in the near future, although not thoroughly.
        Xi Wang

Comment

Originally posted by samoth View Post
          yes thats right.
          The gene i investigated is not the sole gene related to the phenotype. but my project is to determine the effect of the expression of this one gene on the phenotype.
          gene expression was carried out using real time qPCR measuring relative expression (using TaqMan MGB probes)
          What do you mean with "2) how about the ones with extremely low expression levels? "
          thanks
          By "2) how about the ones with extremely low expression levels? " I mean how about the 6 subjects in the group with lower expression levels. Why did you also analyze this group? Some different phenotype?
          Xi Wang

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses