No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect multiple MinION to one host

Dear list,

a colleague of mine want's to use an array on MinIONs in the context of metabarcoding. While we don't have the devices at hand yet, I think from the specs it should be possible to have several MiniIONs connected to one server:

Data production rate:
    >Clive Brown's goal is running at 1300 bases per second, which would be a theoretical maximum throughput of about 30Mb per minute, or 2 Gb per hour on the MinION.
    (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71774)

While the device produces data at in Kbps rate, USB 3.0 should handle X00 Mbps (all data analysis could be done offline, when we have the FAST5).

As far as I understand, it's necessary to use ONT's proprietary MinKNOW for the data acquisition and generating the HDF5-derived FAST5 (e.g. poretools seem to require MinKNOW)?

Does MinKNOW supports data acquisition from multiple physical devices? Is anybody using a set-up with multiple instances of 'MinKNOW' on the same host with several MinIONs e.g. using virtualisation/dockerized layers?

Thanks for you help,
    CPW.
    Last edited by cpw; 11-19-2016, 07:10 AM. Reason: incomplete submission

I've seen people tweeting with pictures of multiple minIONs running so it's definitely possible and supported. And yes, MinKNOW software is required for sequencing on MiniION(s).

Comment

Thanks for the infos, meanwhile I got the following reply from ONT support:

MinKNOW will allow you to connect to multiple MinIONs at the same time and users have run more than one MinION from the same computer, although generally customers run 1 MinION per computer. In principle it should work ...

I'll give it a try after the ordered devices arrived and I will provide feedback of any outcome or useful technical set-up.

Kind regards,
      C.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        meanwhile I got the following reply from ONT support:

MinKNOW will allow you to connect to multiple MinIONs at the same time and users have run more than one MinION from the same computer, although generally customers run 1 MinION per computer. In principle it should work ...

Sounds like this would be an "off-label application". It may work but if you run into trouble don't go calling tech support

Comment

Based on the community forum indeed it has worked for users. But what would your reason be to run multiple MinIONs in parallel?

Comment

You run multiple MinIONs in parallel so that you can do more sequencing. One 10Gnt run in 48 hours might be enough for some people, but not for others.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
              You run multiple MinIONs in parallel so that you can do more sequencing. One 10Gnt run in 48 hours might be enough for some people, but not for others.
              Obviously. But since OP appears new to nanopore sequencing, I thought he might not be aware of barcoding options.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses