No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04.1 for genomic data analysis

Hi,
    Recently I bought a new laptop (8GB RAM-512 SSD) which I would like to dedicate it to my NGS data analysis workflows. Would you please let me know if I want to run my tools and pipelines on Ubuntu 20.04.1, how much disk space I need for working with following scenarios?
    1. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 20 human genomic data, derived from targeted sequencing panel with 300X depth of coverage (let’s say 25 genes).
    2. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 5 human genomic data, derived from WES with 120X depth of coverage.
    3. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 1 human genomic data, derived from WGS with 30X depth of coverage.
    4. Processing the FASTQ and BAM files for 1 human genomic data, derived from PacBio Sequel II WGS.
    May I use my windows hard drive as the output folder for data storage while working with Ubuntu (as I will make a dual boot in my laptop)?
    Sorry if my questions seems as novice but I’m looking for disk and partitions configuration while installing Ubuntu (i.e. general disk space for OS, home directory, and swap). However, I received some comments on no need for assigning swap in Ubuntu 20.04.1!

Thanks

Hi,

Not only RAM and storage space but you need processor too. It depends on size of the data you want to analyze and storage space too. In my suggestion if you want practice yourself go for small data sets and see how it going.

Comment

Originally posted by amitbik View Post
      Hi,

Not only RAM and storage space but you need processor too. It depends on size of the data you want to analyze and storage space too. In my suggestion if you want practice yourself go for small data sets and see how it going.

Thank you very much for your guide. I will consider the small size data to start my practices.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses