Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly-G Failed Runs on NextSeq

Approximately a month ago, our lab performed an RNASeq using a TruSeq Stranded mRNA library prep and a v2 75cyc High Output flowcell. The data that came back was almost entirely G's and was severely underclustered. When we went to re-run the same library, the machine died and would soon thereafter require all of the boards to be replaced.

We assumed that the poly-G run was an early symptom of the board failure, until we tried to run a genomic library prepared with Nextera DNA reagents on v2 300cyc High Output flowcell and again got nearly all G's (also very underclustered). There were no shared reagents between the two library preps and our lab has performed many of each type of prep without failure.

Thinking that it was a hardware issues still, we did a phiX run on a 300cyc Mid Output flowcell... which of course came out perfect. Illumina is of the opinion that it is a transient issue and that we should just continue trying, but there's got to be more to it than that. Have any of you run into this problem before or have thoughts on what may be going on?

Have you tried to sequence the libraries on a different sequencer?

Comment

We have not tried them on a different machine yet. Illumina was first insistent that it was a library prep issue, so at the time it seemed wasteful to run on a separate machine.

Comment

You may want to spike one of the libraries with someone else (as long as the tags allow) who may be running on a MiSeq/HiSeq. That would confirm that quality of your libraries before you try a re-run on NextSeq.

Comment

Given that NextSeq uses two color chemistry, poly G essentially means an absence of signal...

Comment

Make sure no custom primers were selected during the run setup. Information can be found at bottom of the "runparameters.xml"-file. Just look for "<UsesCustomReadOnePrimer>true"

Sounds stupid, but we also had it once when the custom primer button was pressed accidentally when initiating an experiment. The system will use the wrong primer for first read sequencing, so no signal is generated and thus no clusters will be detected. Due to the chemistry, there is no signal from G-bases. Run will look severely underclustered and possibly only G's will be called.

Comment

At this point, I welcome things that sound stupid if it means we can get this wrapped up. Unfortunately the run parameters show false for the custom primers and everything else in there looks as expected.

Comment

Only options I see is to cross your fingers and try a re-run with NextSeq or check the libraries on a MiSeq/HiSeq to confirm that they are sequenceable before coming back to NextSeq.

Comment

As an update, we've now run the same library on a different NextSeq and obtained the same results. The library was run with a 1% PhiX control, which sequenced perfectly.

We thought that, due to the high GC nature of the libraries, the strands weren't denaturing. The NaOH stock used was over pH 13 and a Qubit before and after denaturing showed that they are certainly single stranded when they are being loaded.

So the problem is in the library prep, somewhere. The only common reagent is the Omega Bio-tek beads from the PCR clean up. Is there any rationale that the beads could be causing this problem somehow?

Comment

This is likely an indication of a bad library prep and you may be better off starting over.

As a last try do a MiSeq run, if you can. MiSeq is a resilient sequencer and may be able to sequence this sample. Having 4 color chemistry helps as well. If the library has low nucleotide diversity then increase the phiX concentration.
                    Last edited by GenoMax; 11-29-2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I think if the same library failed with the same error mode on a different machine, it would be a waste of resources to run it again. Considering the PhiX reads sequenced perfectly, I cannot imagine that a different platform would give different results. It sounds like you just don't have any sequence (since as wdecoster noted, 'G' means no signal). But to clarify, are the sequences 100% G, or are they ~60bp of adapter and then poly-G?

Comment

I think two separate libraries were originally tried but at least one of the libraries was run again and failed.

If this is an irreplaceable sample then try the last ditch effort I mentioned above otherwise I agree that it would be best to start over and make new libs.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          If this is an irreplaceable sample then try the last ditch effort I mentioned above
                          Good point, I did not consider that aspect. If that's the situation I concur with Genomax.

Comment

They are 100% G, adapter and all. And yes, there were originally two unrelated libraries that failed and the second was re-run on a different machine.

The samples are by no means irreplaceable as we have the original DNA to remake the libraries. However, if I'm missing something obvious that is going to lead to another failed run (i.e. bad reagent), then remaking the libraries isn't going to help.

I'm simply at a loss to explain why Qubit and Tapestation indicate there is tons of DNA there and yet I can't seem to get a viable read on in it.

Comment

I wonder if...

A) The adapters never attached to the reads
                              or
                              B) The reads were to long to bridge-amplify (in which case a different platform might make a difference)

I don't know how to diagnose those issues, but they seem like the most likely culprits to me.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses