Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mg-rast --> megan

Does anyone if it's possible to grab output from MG-RAST and feed it into MEGAN? The all vs. all BLAST search required for my dataset would be hideous on our servers and I was hoping to use something MG-RAST generates. I have some downstream analysis better done in MEGAN and essentially just want to use MG-RAST for its annotation and BLAST searches.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks!

I think MEGAN requires NCBI GIs for the hits. However, as far as I can tell, MG-RAST (also IMG/M) does not assign these. Perhaps you could extract subsets of interest from MG-RAST results and blast those against NCBI's nr?
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 04-14-2013, 06:08 AM.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Great news! I was wrong. It's possible. Have a look here.
      savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
        Great news! I was wrong. It's possible. Have a look here.
        Hi rhinoceros,

Have you ever done this? From MG-RAST to MEGAN. I tried, but I couldn't export the NCBI annotation format from MG-RAST.

If you did it successfully, can you tell us the details?

Thank you

Comment

Hey,

No, I haven't done it. However, it shouldn't be so hard. Go to the download page of the genome you're interested in and check under "Annotation Download via API". From this you get tab-delimited files that could perhaps be imported into mg-rast like normal tabular blast output. If that doesn't work, then you need to apply some cut and paste at the command line (probably replace the second column with the last column)..
          Last edited by rhinoceros; 09-08-2013, 10:30 PM.
          savetherhino.org

Comment

Hi,
            Have you had any luck in figuring out using data from MG-RAST into MEGAN?

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses