No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent sequencers comparison

Hello,
    so, now Thermo has 8 Ion Torrent models for sale (for future reference: PGM, PGM-Dx, Proton, S5, S5 XL, GeneStudio S5, GeneStudio S5 Plus, GeneStudio S5 Prime).

I'm trying to wrap my head around the differences and I've made a quick spreadsheet from info I gathered from their website.

I thought I'd share, also because I'd enjoy a double-check from more experienced users, and I still miss some data.

The spreadsheet can be viewed here:

Cells in orange are missing/uncertain.

Any corrections and new data are welcome. Thanks!

nice work!

Comment

Nice. Thanks!
      By the way, anyone has any experience with any of the S5 models?

Comment

Thats interesting and really cool, thanks for that.
        I didn't know the upgraded the S5, I wonder how the list prices compare to the S5 or S5 XL.

I have used S5 before, its a nice system I like it alot.

Comment

We have an S5 that we're using 400bp chemistry on. It's been doing pretty well and is SO much easier to use than the PGM.

Can anyone comment on the 600bp kit? How is the size selection with it?
          Last edited by jhalpin; 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

The S5s are significantly easier to use and much less finicky than the PGMs. It's night and day. The Chef kits (400 bp) are pretty robust as are the ExT kits (600 bp).

The ExT kits take a lot less time than the Chef kits, 7 hours vs almost 13 or 14, I believe. Sequencing is also pretty quick at about 5 hours.

The 600 bp Chef ExT kits can do one chip at a time vs the 400 bp which are capable of doing two chips.

Comment

I currently have an S5 and noticed after the January software update it was rebranded as the GeneStudio. The internals include a single Xeon E5-1650 v4, 128GB of DDR4 RAM, a GTX 1080, and a custom FPGA. It seems like S5 sequencers manufacturered at different times have different internals. It is also worth noting that the motherboard in the instrument is a dual-socket intel board with support for up to 512GB of RAM and multiple GPUs assuming you have a long enough PCIe riser cable for the FPGA. The built-in screen runs off the motherboard's integrated VGA graphics. TorrentSuite analysis is done with a VM that has access to 6 CPU cores and 40GB of RAM. Upgrading the internals is trivial and editing the QEMU config for the TSVM is also trivial however there is also the matter of changing the sun grid engine job scheduler config in the TSVM to use the additional cores.

The S5 XL by comparison is now branded the GeneStudio Prime and focuses on the additional compute of an external workstation as the Torrent Suite VM now runs natively on the external workstation. The S5 still needs to perform onboard analysis of the signal data via the FPGA otherwise it would take too long to transfer it over the 1Gb/s ethernet connection to the Torrent Suite workstation.

Comment

Checking out the Spec Sheets:
                old S5's https://tinyurl.com/yc5zt5wu
                new GeneStudio S5s: https://tinyurl.com/ya3vhdn2

You can compare the timing across the 540 chip to see that the Ion S5 and the Ion GeneStudio S5 share the same capability.

The Ion GeneStudio S5 Plus is slightly slower than the old Ion S5 XL, while the new Ion GeneStudio S5 Prime is slightly faster than the old Ion S5 XL.

Also worth noting that the new 550 chip that was introduced only runs on the GeneStudio S5 Plus, Prime or the old S5 XL...

Comment

Originally posted by idedios View Post
                  I currently have an S5 and noticed after the January software update it was rebranded as the GeneStudio. The internals include a single Xeon E5-1650 v4, 128GB of DDR4 RAM, a GTX 1080, and a custom FPGA. It seems like S5 sequencers manufacturered at different times have different internals. It is also worth noting that the motherboard in the instrument is a dual-socket intel board with support for up to 512GB of RAM and multiple GPUs assuming you have a long enough PCIe riser cable for the FPGA. The built-in screen runs off the motherboard's integrated VGA graphics. TorrentSuite analysis is done with a VM that has access to 6 CPU cores and 40GB of RAM. Upgrading the internals is trivial and editing the QEMU config for the TSVM is also trivial however there is also the matter of changing the sun grid engine job scheduler config in the TSVM to use the additional cores.

The S5 XL by comparison is now branded the GeneStudio Prime and focuses on the additional compute of an external workstation as the Torrent Suite VM now runs natively on the external workstation. The S5 still needs to perform onboard analysis of the signal data via the FPGA otherwise it would take too long to transfer it over the 1Gb/s ethernet connection to the Torrent Suite workstation.
                  Hi,
                  did you upgrade your instrument in practice? I'd love to know details. I'm using an S5 now, but the processing times are indeed abysmal. It's taking 20 hours to process one chip (as opposed to the 16.5 hours suggested in the official folder) - and I'm not even including plugins.

Comment

PS - in our S5, the VM has access to 12 cores. VM memory is indeed 40 GB.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses