Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly are you trying to do?

Based on the file names it appears that your sequence provider has already done the basecalling (e.g. xed/not_demultiplexed_NoIndex_L003_R1_001.fastq.gz).

If you have some kind of internal barcode/index on these reads then CASAVA can't be used for demultiplexing those.

Comment

I'll explain what happened. I made all of my sequencing in another laboratory. We ran two samples per lane of mRNA libraries. But few indexed reads were generated, approximately one million per sample (very little indeed). I'm questioning the preparation of these libraries, because I believe that it was not done properly by this laboratory. But I would like to see the reads before making demultiplexing, to see if I can recover some reads. So I want to do it again converting blc to fastq, without demultiplexing. I want to see the reads generated containing all the information, the sequences containing the indexes. What do you suggest? Thank you. I thought about doing the PICARD.

Comment

In case of illumina multiplex libraries the index read happens as a separate read so you will not be able to see the tags unless you actually provide a samplesheet and de-multiplex the sample.

If as you say the index read was bad (i.e. N's or whatever) most of the reads will end up in the "undetermined" reads file. You can then parse the reads to determine if the library indeed is bad (look for the tags at the end of the read ID's).

Were there other samples on the flowcell that demultiplexed properly? What was the cluster concentration (k/mm^2)? Generally if you overload a sample the regular reads are generally fine but it is the index reads that suffer since the basecaller has a hard time distinguishing the clusters. You will then not be able to demultiplex the reads ruining the run (as you found).

Comment

Good Morning :-)

Be aware as GenoMax already mentioned that the index itself is simply a separate read. Without demultiplexing you loose the information about the indices.

Have a look at the undetermined_indices to see if you have quality problems with the index or if you have another index present in the data.
          PM me if you want a simple perl script doing the job for you.

Comment

I just met this problem recently and I solved this by checking CASAVA 1.8.2 manual.

Solution for people who needs this:

There might be many reasons lead to such an error.

If the error msg is missing bcf file or stats files. Try to use parameters: --ignore-missing-bcl or --ignore-missing-stats

The reason also might be file/path permission and mounted drive. However, they are all give the same error msg. (It is quite misleading)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses