Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem running multiz with MAF files

i downloaded some pairwise alignment files from UCSC in the axtnet format and converted these to the MAF format the general header looks like this

a score=21045.000000
    s chr10 1454 357 + 94855758 aataaaaattattggtccccattcctagtgattccaa
    s chr14 106421274 333 - 108792865 aataaaaattctttggccccattcttagtgagtcc

I had run multiz using these files and then while running phastcons i found out that organisms had not been specified therefore i converted these headers to the appropriate format

a score=21045.000000
    s organism1.chr10 1454 357 + 94855758 aataaaaattattggtccccattcctag
    s organism2.chr14 106421274 333 - 108792865 aataaaaattctttggccccattctta

and when i run these files i get an error line 11 of organism1.organism2.maf : inconsistent row size

and this problem is common in all files where i have made this change
    it would be really helpful if someone can point out the problem here.

the multiz command i use is

multiz chr1.organism1.organism2.maf chr1.organism1.organism3.maf chr1.unused > chr1.organism1.organism2.organism3.maf

and the command i used to change them was:

awk '/a score/{print;getline;gsub(/chr/,"organism1.chr",$0);print;getline;gsub(/chr/,"organism2.chr",$0);print} /#/{print;}' chr1.organism1.organism2.maf > chr1.organism1.organism2.maf2

bump

not to spam or anything but i really need help on this. so bump!

Comment

Hi koustavpal,

Were you able to figure it out? What was causing the problem? what Phastcons command did you use? I am in the same situation. Please let me know.

thank you,

-Milo

Originally posted by koustavpal View Post
      i downloaded some pairwise alignment files from UCSC in the axtnet format and converted these to the MAF format the general header looks like this

a score=21045.000000
      s chr10 1454 357 + 94855758 aataaaaattattggtccccattcctagtgattccaa
      s chr14 106421274 333 - 108792865 aataaaaattctttggccccattcttagtgagtcc

I had run multiz using these files and then while running phastcons i found out that organisms had not been specified therefore i converted these headers to the appropriate format

a score=21045.000000
      s organism1.chr10 1454 357 + 94855758 aataaaaattattggtccccattcctag
      s organism2.chr14 106421274 333 - 108792865 aataaaaattctttggccccattctta

and when i run these files i get an error line 11 of organism1.organism2.maf : inconsistent row size

and this problem is common in all files where i have made this change
      it would be really helpful if someone can point out the problem here.

the multiz command i use is

multiz chr1.organism1.organism2.maf chr1.organism1.organism3.maf chr1.unused > chr1.organism1.organism2.organism3.maf

and the command i used to change them was:

awk '/a score/{print;getline;gsub(/chr/,"organism1.chr",$0);print;getline;gsub(/chr/,"organism2.chr",$0);print} /#/{print;}' chr1.organism1.organism2.maf > chr1.organism1.organism2.maf2

Comment

Hi milo,

I figured out the problem and got the entire pipeline working a long time ago, so it's a bit hard for me to remember how i did it. I'll try to help out as much as I can. So basically the first and only document I extensively referred to solve it was the UCSC 28way vertebrate alignment track documentation here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2099589/

Maybe you can start there if you haven't already.

On a side note, this particular pipeline is a long and tedious one, so unless you are trying to do something which hasn't already been done I would strongly recommend against going forward with this. Maybe if you told me what you are trying to accomplish I can help you out with that.

Comment

Hi koustavpal,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am currently aligning two de novo plant genomes (wild and domesticated genomes) and I am using a related plant genome as reference. My goal is to analyse the genetic diversity and differentiation within and between the domesticated and wild plant. I have already completed the alignment using LASTZ and combined the MAF alignments using MULTIZ but I am confused on what would be my next step. What would you recommend? Should I continue with the LASTZ pipeline or do you have a better method in mind? I would really appreciate your help.

Regards,

-Milo

Originally posted by koustavpal View Post
          Hi milo,

I figured out the problem and got the entire pipeline working a long time ago, so it's a bit hard for me to remember how i did it. I'll try to help out as much as I can. So basically the first and only document I extensively referred to solve it was the UCSC 28way vertebrate alignment track documentation here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2099589/

Maybe you can start there if you haven't already.

On a side note, this particular pipeline is a long and tedious one, so unless you are trying to do something which hasn't already been done I would strongly recommend against going forward with this. Maybe if you told me what you are trying to accomplish I can help you out with that.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses