Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double SPRI with Ampure XP for higher mw products

I'm been trying to sequence these PCR amplified products that are around 550-650 bp long. Extremely pesky to amplify. So far I've tried doing Ampure clean up (at 0.6x) and also gel purification (sybr safe, LMP agarose, etc.). Gel purification does clean up the product very well, but I always end up with just okay recovery.

The SPRI cleanup, on the other hand, gave me much better recovery, and actually cleaned out low mw products <300-350bp quite well. I do still end up with some higher mw minor products > 1k bp, however, that I don't want. Though I think for now, the high mw minor products shouldn't eat up too many of my reads, I would like to get rid of them if possible, without anymore gel purification.

I'm trying to figure out how I would do double spri to get rid of that product.

Something I noticed reading around is that it seems the SPRI bead protocol becomes weird when you try to go below 0.5X beadsroduct ratio; it seems the protocol misbehaves and doesn't have the mw cutoff you would expect (looking at the Broad material slide 61).

I was hoping I could do something like 0.4-0.3X SPRI to retain the 1kb products onto the beads, then take the supernatant and perform the regular 0.6X SPRI to get rid of lower mw products. I also realized, however, that the supernatant taken from the first SPRI cut into the second cut would still have leftover SPRI buffer/PEG. Would I have to change the ratio of the second cut to compensate for the difference?

I think a 0.4X followed by a 0.6x should work. Your supernatant after the 0.4X will contain bead buffer and you will need to adjust the volume that you add for the 0.6X cleanup. If your sample is 50ul you would add 20 uL of beads for the 0.4X upper and then 10 uL of beads to the supernatant for the 0.6X lower.
    Josh Kinman

Comment

50uL would be exactly what I'm going for.

Could you go over the math here? is the volume here assuming i'm only taking over 50uL of supernatant from the first SPRI into the second SPRI?

Comment

Originally posted by SunPenguin View Post
        50uL would be exactly what I'm going for.

Could you go over the math here? is the volume here assuming i'm only taking over 50uL of supernatant from the first SPRI into the second SPRI?
        This is assuming that you are taking all of the clear supernatant over.
        So...
        1. Add 20 uL of beads to 50 uL of sample, incubate, magnetize, and transfer ~68-70 uL of clear supernatant. (20uL of this supernatant will be bead buffer)
        2. Add 10 uL of beads to the supernatant, incubate, remove supernatant, magnetize, wash, resuspend, transfer clear sample.

Since the amount of buffer determines the selection and not the beads themselves, adding an additional 10uL of beads to the supernatant that is already has 20 uL of buffer should get you to around a 0.6X buffer to sample ratio (50uL of sample and 30uL total of bead buffer).

This second bead amount might need a little adjustment to get exactly what you want, but 10uL should be pretty close to what you're aiming for.
        Last edited by jdk787; 12-01-2015, 06:31 PM. Reason: Can't do math
        Josh Kinman

Comment

Here is a helpful diagram that I use when determining bead cleanup concentrations.

Comment

Hmm, the graph again doesn't extend beyond 0.5, but the exponential (or polynomial) nature of the curves may explain that.

Comment

That's quite helpful, Angelmass! Did you generate that yourself? I've been meaning to do a systematic test like that with AMPure XP beads.

SunPenguin, in my hands the recovery rate from SPRI double-sided size selection can be comparable to or less than what I get from a gel extraction. Highly dependent on your amplicons and their proportions, of course, but I try to avoid the Broad's method unless I have access to a liquid handler. Let us know if it works! Out of curiosity, can you potentially re-amplify your purified fragments now that your primers should be on-target?

Also, it sounds like your products might be right on the cusp for Zymo's Select-a-Size kit if your unwanted smaller fragments are consistently below 300bp. Maybe worth a shot?

Comment

Originally posted by jdk787 View Post
                This is assuming that you are taking all of the clear supernatant over.
                So...
                1. Add 30 uL of beads to 50 uL of sample, incubate, magnetize, and transfer ~78-80 uL of clear supernatant. (30uL of this supernatant will be bead buffer)
                2. Add 10 uL of beads to the supernatant, incubate, remove supernatant, magnetize, wash, resuspend, transfer clear sample.

Since the amount of buffer determines the selection and not the beads themselves, adding an additional 10uL of beads to the supernatant that is already has 30 uL of buffer should get you to around a 0.6X buffer to sample ratio (50uL of sample and 30uL total of bead buffer).

This second bead amount might need a little adjustment to get exactly what you want, but 10uL should be pretty close to what you're aiming for.
                I assume the 30uL of beads is a typo? It should be 20uL (20/50=0.4)? then assuming I take about ~70uL of the supernatant, then add 10uL of beads to make 80uL total, I should get the effects of a 0.6x SPRI ((10+20)/50=0.6)?

Comment

Originally posted by adam.geber View Post
                  That's quite helpful, Angelmass! Did you generate that yourself? I've been meaning to do a systematic test like that with AMPure XP beads.

SunPenguin, in my hands the recovery rate from SPRI double-sided size selection can be comparable to or less than what I get from a gel extraction. Highly dependent on your amplicons and their proportions, of course, but I try to avoid the Broad's method unless I have access to a liquid handler. Let us know if it works! Out of curiosity, can you potentially re-amplify your purified fragments now that your primers should be on-target?

Also, it sounds like your products might be right on the cusp for Zymo's Select-a-Size kit if your unwanted smaller fragments are consistently below 300bp. Maybe worth a shot?
                  Hmm, that's interesting. I am in the process of trying to limit how many PCR cycles to use to avoid chimeric products, so while the back up plan is to take the product and amplify it by 10 more cycles (or maybe even less), it would be preferable to not do that (as would anyone, I suppose).

At this point, I generally get this low intensity smear of DNA just at the high mw level (900-1000bp all the way to 6000bp or higher). It actually shifts the baseline of bioA (I attached the trace here). I think since the products that I want are the shorter major product, I should be okay, but still, it would be cleaner if I could get rid of the unwanted stuff.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's another less dramatic example.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting. I am in the process of trying to limit how many PCR cycles to use to avoid chimeric products, so while the back up plan is to take the product and amplify it by 10 more cycles (or maybe even less), it would be preferable to not do that (as would anyone, I suppose).

At this point, I generally get this low intensity smear of DNA just at the high mw level (900-1000bp all the way to 6000bp or higher). It actually shifts the baseline of bioA (I attached the trace here). I think since the products that I want are the shorter major product, I should be okay, but still, it would be cleaner if I could get rid of the unwanted stuff.
                      Oh, wow. That's definitely a shifted baseline! Is it possible you're already getting overamplification? The smaller hump at 900bp makes me think so. How many cycles are you doing to get your product? Edit: or possibly contaminating gDNA?

Comment

I assume the 30uL of beads is a typo? It should be 20uL (20/50=0.4)? then assuming I take about ~70uL of the supernatant, then add 10uL of beads to make 80uL total, I should get the effects of a 0.6x SPRI ((10+20)/50=0.6)?
                        Sorry about that, I edited my post with the correct numbers.
                        What you have here is correct.
                        Josh Kinman

Comment

I think that's definitely possible, but I don't have enough experience to know what that looks like.

The product goes through several round of PCR, with a SPRI/gel extraction between each step. The total number of cycles right now sit at 70 (it's a low abundance transcript, so it takes a bit to get enough products). The last step is 20 cycles. Would over amplification cause this kind of trace? Should I maybe reduce my template concentration?

Comment

I think that's definitely possible, but I don't have enough experience to know what that looks like.

The product goes through several round of PCR, with a SPRI/gel extraction between each step. The total number of cycles right now sit at 70 (it's a low abundance transcript, so it takes a bit to get enough products). The last step is 20 cycles. Would over amplification cause this kind of trace? Should I maybe reduce my template concentration?
                            Overamplification could cause this kind of trace through formation of bubble product and daisy chains.
                            When primers are depleted during PCR, non-complementary strands can anneal to each other and show up as high mw products on the BA. If this is what's happening, reducing cycles or reducing template will help.

You can determine if this is what is occurring by running a portion of your library on a denaturing gel to see if the upper end stuff goes away.
                            Josh Kinman

Comment

Can you describe your protocol with more detail, including what your DNA (or cDNA? you mentioned a transcript) sample consists of and what you're amplifying? I've never had to resort to repeated rounds of purification and PCR -- there might be a simpler way to do this by e.g. touchdown PCR.

jdk787's suggestion of a denaturing gel will definitely clear things up. You also might want to run your gDNA/cDNA sample out to see if you're getting high-molecular weight products that are beyond the range of the Bioanalyzer chip you're running. Alternatively, if you have access to a Tapestation the gDNA Screentapes are quite decent at resolving larger fragment sizes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses