View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
McG

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm1 View Post
Does 45.3% success rate seem close to what I should be expecting in mice? I have nothing to compare it to.
Hey edm1,

I'm not sure if you were ever able to get advice on whether 45.3% is close to what you should expect, but here are my two cents:
1) The "alignment_not_unique" feature is for reads with low alignment quality, which usually means reads that had multiple mappings. Count-based methods of differential expression (e.g. DESeq) usually ignore these, i.e. they focus on "unique matches", so you shouldn't include them in your final percentage tally. Excluding them gives you a success rate of 62.8%.
2) I'm not very familiar with the literature on what an expected success rate would be, but one example I am aware of (and was posted in another forum) is this nature paper (link: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture08872.html), reporting in their supplementary information that they mapped an average of 86% (range of 64-91%) uniquely matching reads to exons. All of their numbers are reported in the first supplementary table. Thus, your success rate of 62.8% is close to the bottom of their range. There might still be some areas of improvement for you, but you're pretty darn close.

Hope that helps!
McG is offline   Reply With Quote