Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to perform grooming that galaxy does but on the commandline?

How do I groom sanger reads into sanger reads on my local commandline using the same tool that galaxy has found here?

In other words, I would like to do the following:
    • Obtain the same tool galaxy uses for grooming locally
    • Invoke this tool on my local commandline
    • Figure out how to use this tool on an entire directory of fastq files

I of course went to galaxy and I only saw a reference to a paper, but I don't know where to obtain the tool?

Thank you very much for reading this post.

There is no need to "groom" if your reads are already in sanger format.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      There is no need to "groom" if your reads are already in sanger format.
      I am reading these notes and trying to duplicate the results. It states they used galaxy and the first step in the cleaning process was grooming. Specifically,
      Groomed 28403332 sanger reads into sanger reads
      They then trimmed and then filtered the results. So what I should really be doing is focusing on the trimming and filtering, yes?

If so, my question is how can I obtain the tools galaxy uses for trim and filter for local commandline processing? Thank you for your patience and prompt answer.

Comment

You can get the code galaxy uses here (individual tools likely have other dependencies and it may not be simple to run them on the command line): https://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/devteam

As long as you know the reads are in sanger format (phred+33) you can go on to trimming/filtering.

Comment

You can get the code galaxy uses here (individual tools likely have other dependencies and it may not be simple to run them on the command line): https://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/devteam

As long as you know the reads are in sanger format (phred+33) you can go on to trimming/filtering.
          That's a great place to look. It would be nice if the tools had a readme.txt for dependencies, but I read whatever docs I can find first. If that doesn't work, I can always reach out again.

That being said, thank you so much Geno. You've been a lot of help and I want you to know this. Have a great day.

Comment

Okay, my background is not biology and I am in computer science. So maybe you can answer this to me because the person who did this isn't here anymore.
            1. It seems the data is 100 cycle SE from high output: 1 lane (Illumina HiSeq 2500)
            2. They did trimming from sanger to sanger data?
            3. How can I verify myself that this is phred+33 format?

Did they make a mistake in grooming? It seems to me that Illumina HiSeq fastq data is not sanger? Or am I totally n00b?

Comment

Options for verifying phred+33 format: https://www.biostars.org/p/63225/

If your dataset is already sanger format then in galaxy it is possible to assign ".fastqsanger" type to this data avoiding the grooming step.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses