No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why consed finds discrepancies with masked n sequence

Hi,

I have just received our first Illumina data & I have assembled it into Consed. Then I searched for high quality discrepancies as am looking for variants.

But also in the list brought up it has discrepancies with 'n' (masked) sequence in the RefSeq.

Why would the program compare the sequences to regions of N's . I would have thought it would only be looking for differences between the 4 bases.

How can I screen these out to reduce my long list of discrepancies?

Thanks alig

If you're using Phrap/Consed you might want to think about using something like MAQ or similar programs as Phrep/Consed will not do well with short read sequencing (doesn't really do well on anything but sanger BAC re-sequencing/assembly without tweaking it a lot really). If you're working on de-novo stuff and don't have a reference try velvet or euler-sr.
    Cheers,

Brad

Comment

Consed uses cross_match to align the reads (454,illumina) against a reference sequence,
      phrap is not invoked. If you are "working" with the alignment, e.g. some kind of finishing, then
      you are somewhat dependent on programs like consed.

But I agree that consed / cross_match is not doing that well on that, mainly because of the
      problem mentioned and as well as it (still) lacks some proper consensus recalculation after
      (short) reads have been aligned.

So if you're just looking for discrepancies, I'd also recommend programs like MAQ or
      Mosaik Assembler (from the Marth Lab) which is well suited for SNP searches as well.

hth,
      Sven

Comment

cross match seems pretty sensitive to aligning short reads correctly. It is a matter of obtaining SNP calls from it and then compare.

The discrepancies reported by consed need to go through some sort of filtering to be able to get good quality snp calls.. anyone worked with this?

perhaps cross match mapped reads -> maq map format -> maq SNP calling?
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses