Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess that benchmark is non-typical. It is not frequent to find a file that can be compressed from 15GB to 600MB. Nonetheless, it does indicate that pigz is not scalable. Nils' pbgzip should be much better. Also, if you want to do comparison, there is another more modern variant of bzip2 that is both much faster and achieves a better compression ratio. I forgot its name. James Bonfield should know better.

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
      I guess that benchmark is non-typical. It is not frequent to find a file that can be compressed from 15GB to 600MB. Nonetheless, it does indicate that pigz is not scalable. Nils' pbgzip should be much better. Also, if you want to do comparison, there is another more modern variant of bzip2 that is both much faster and achieves a better compression ratio. I forgot its name. James Bonfield should know better.
      Heng,

You are right. I will give this a try using a SAM file. I wonder if the 15GB file was made by duplicating some content over and over. This would explain the compression.

Comment

Guys,

Below are compression times for a 6.8GB SAM file. Tested on Ubuntu 11.10 with latest versions of all software. We got the latest source for each tool and compiled it on our node. Our node has 128GB of RAM and 4x AMD Opteron(TM) Processors. Total of 64 cores.

cores pigz pbzip2 gzip bzip2
        2 10m32s 9m52s xx xx
        16 1m25s 1m36s xx xx
        64 1m6s 0m34s xx xx
        1 xx xx 21m18s 19m16s

The pbzip file was 1.7GB and the pigz file was 2GB so not as big as difference as I thought.

Comment

It should not be too hard to make a bz2 BAM file, using the bz2 library: BZ2_bzBuffToBuffCompress and BZ2_bzBuffToBuffDecompress. Of course, there are better methods than just using the aforementioned functions (see pbzip2).

I am not sure how necessary all the signalling is in the current implementation, but debugging race conditions is a pain.

Comment

But is it worth it? BZIP wins on parallelization with lots of cores, but is this useful? I thought samtools reads and write in small blocks that are separately compressed and decompressed. So it seems you can just parallelize that, right? Do you really benefit from using BZIP over GZIP?

Comment

BZIP compress in blocks, so it actually fits the model of BAM quite well. The default block size in BAM is 65536, so upping that to 100K wouldn't be too hard. If it saves 30%, then it could be an alternative to CRAM (i.e. "get rid of all things").

Comment

Originally posted by genericforms View Post
                But is it worth it? BZIP wins on parallelization with lots of cores, but is this useful? I thought samtools reads and write in small blocks that are separately compressed and decompressed. So it seems you can just parallelize that, right? Do you really benefit from using BZIP over GZIP?
                Well the best way to answer the question is to do it (on 24 threads).

command ------------- | c (s) | d (s) | size (MB)
                pbgzip -t 0 (gz) ---- | 17.29 | 21.24 | 698MB
                pbgzip -t 1 (bz2) --- | 18.43 | 21.13 | 804MB
                pbzip2 -------------- | 21.36 | 21.23 | 640MB

Since BAM uses such small block sizes (63488 bytes), the BZ2 compression is not as good as when using larger block sizes, like in pbzip2. While pbzip2 file size is 80% of pbgzip (gz), the file size of pbgzip (bz2) is a respectable 86%. Compression and decompression times were not too different either.
                Last edited by nilshomer; 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I guess most interested people are on the samtools-devel/help lists; however, for those who aren't, Heng just announced a multi-threaded samtools sort/merge/view:

It'd be interesting with a merge between his approach and Nils', if feasible... or did you already re-introduce multi-threaded sort, Nils?

Comment

Originally posted by arvid View Post
                    I guess most interested people are on the samtools-devel/help lists; however, for those who aren't, Heng just announced a multi-threaded samtools sort/merge/view:

It'd be interesting with a merge between his approach and Nils', if feasible... or did you already re-introduce multi-threaded sort, Nils?
                    The way Heng implemented it was to multi-thread the in-memory sort, as well as when merging multiple BAM files, to multi-thread the compression. There is also support in the new bgzf.c to support multi-threaded writing, which is used in the merging above. The multi-threaded writing is not used elsewhere.

I think the part I would integrate is Heng's multi-threaded sort routine, while the rest is already there.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
                      The way Heng implemented it was to multi-thread the in-memory sort, as well as when merging multiple BAM files, to multi-thread the compression. There is also support in the new bgzf.c to support multi-threaded writing, which is used in the merging above. The multi-threaded writing is not used elsewhere.

I think the part I would integrate is Heng's multi-threaded sort routine, while the rest is already there.
                      Great, keep up the good work!

Comment

BZIP compress in blocks, so it actually fits the model of BAM quite well. The default block size in BAM is 65536, so upping that to 100K wouldn't be too hard. If it saves 30%, then it could be an alternative to CRAM (i.e. "get rid of all things").
                        You can use 100K, 200K, ..., 900K blocks in BZIP2 - the larger the block size the better the compression rate of course. This would require rejigging the BGZF virtual offset... the current 64bit trick won't work.

You'd also need to solve the non-byte aligned block issue, perhaps extending or working around the C library's API: http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/201...-to-bzip2.html

This is assuming using multiple cores would overcome the inherently higher CPU load of BZIP vs GZIP - which sounds viable in principle

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
                          You can use 100K, 200K, ..., 900K blocks in BZIP2 - the larger the block size the better the compression rate of course. This would require rejigging the BGZF virtual offset... the current 64bit trick won't work.

You'd also need to solve the non-byte aligned block issue, perhaps extending or working around the C library's API: http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/201...-to-bzip2.html

This is assuming using multiple cores would overcome the inherently higher CPU load of BZIP vs GZIP - which sounds viable in principle
                          I would how important it is to speed up the compression this much. I think for really big files, the I/O probably becomes less of a problem? We have seen this at least for ~20-50GB human BAMs, where for fly BAMs that are 1-3GB, the I/O is more of a bottleneck for us.

Comment

That's the bonus of using compressed files - they are faster to read off disk (as long as the CPU overhead doesn't cost you too much). i.e. Using more compression can save I/O.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
                              That's the bonus of using compressed files - they are faster to read off disk (as long as the CPU overhead doesn't cost you too much). i.e. Using more compression can save I/O.
                              Yes, I agree. I was just suggesting that perhaps I/O might not be the limiting factor for really big files, or at least that it might not be worth spending too much time trying to speed up compression beyond simply multithreading the existing block method...

Comment

I have been working on speeding up reading and writing within SAMtools by creating a multi-threaded block gzip reader and writer. I have an alpha version working. I would appreciate some feedback and testing, just don't use it for production systems yet. Thank-you!

Contribute to nh13/samtools development by creating an account on GitHub.

NB: I would be happy describe the implementation, and collaborate to get this into Picard too.
                                Good morning--I get page not found error when I go to the above link--is there an updated one? Thanks!
                                Stacia

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses