No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding CRISPR gRNA off-target matches using NGS mappers

Hi all,

To keep it brief I have about 3 million, 23bp sequences (gRNAs) which are putative CRIPSR-Cas9 sites, all of which I need to screened for off-target sites against the hg19 genome. I'm looking for mappings with up to 4 mis-matches, but for ALL alignments to be reported.

I've been using an R package called CRISPRseek, but to scan each gRNA would take ages, so I thought I would look at using NGS mappers to do the job.

The Sanger use bwa with these params:

bwa aln -n 5 -o 0 -l 20 -k 4 -N -m 1000000000 ${GENOME} ${CRISPR_FQ_FILE}

I tried this using just one gRNA, and the number of hits I got back were about 150 fewer than the R package function (350 vs 500). I manually looked at some sequences bwa missed, and I see no reason why bwa would reject them.

The question is whether there is another aligner I could consider? STAR will not work, and I don't think bowtie will allow up to 4mm. Alternatively, if there is a tweak to the above params I would be happy to hear it.

TIA,

Sham

While using a mapper to find matches is actually a nice idea, I am not sure that it would work. From my understanding (and i'm a little rusty on all of the details) of the CRISPR system is that it is not just the 23 nt sequence that is important, but also the few bp's that follow your sequence of interest also see (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6121/823.full) . For example:

5'-YOUR23NTSEQUENCE-NGG-3'

Where the N is a wild card and can be any base followed by a GG. Essentially, you are looking for regions in the genome in which have your sequence (with or without some mismatches) followed by the NGG sequence. I would assume(?) that the R- program is taking this into account, but when mapping your not which may be why the mapping missed some sites. Perhaps, trying to artificially add the NGG to your sequence then re-map and see what you get might improve the system (not sure if this would work or if it is even possible).

Also, see here, in which they have a tool that can be used, but it might be a little cumbersome with 3 million sequences:

Comment

You're absolutely right, there is a 3 base PAM (NGG) on the end of the sequence. In my case all the sequences had the NGG when they were supplied to the mapper.

You are also right when you say the R package takes the preservation of the NGG into account when looking for off-target sites, which is why I was surprised when bwa returned fewer when it is free to mis-match anywhere within the sequence. Mu thought was to use the mapper and then screen for hits where the NGG rule is preserved.

I was pretty much copying what was written here

so in principle it seems it should work, so why it doesn't is bit of a mystery to me right now.

Thanks,

Sham

Comment

Maybe, when you are doing the mapping, you are getting mismatches in the 'GG' which is resulting in the lower number of hits. Not sure if it's possible, but maybe there is a way to tell BWA to allow 4 mismatches, but the last 'GG' has to be fixed and no mismatches allowed in those 2 bps. This way, the only mismatches are in the rest of the fragment.

Another thought would be that you would want to potential search the genome for the 'NGG' sequence first, then see if the rest of your sequence can align following that location with allowing the up to 4-mismatches.

Comment

I had this thought too. Looking at the bwa command line, they specify the seed as -l 20bp with -k4 mismatches. I bumped up the number of mm to -k 5 (just to see) and not many more sites were found.

I think the second part of your suggestion would be quite tricky to go given the number of NGG's in the genome, but if you have a way of doing that quickly I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks for the brain storming session! I think I might try and contact the sanger guys and see if there is something I'm missing.

Sham

Comment

Sham,

You might try BBMap, which is quite sensitive and supports short seeds (value of 'k'). By default k=13 and it gets exponentially slower (with higher sensitivity) as you reduce it, but it should still be fast enough for only 3m short sequences. If 9 is not sensitive enough you can try reducing it as low as 7, perhaps. The command would be something like this:

bbmap.sh -Xmx23g in=reads.fq ref=hg19.fa k=9 maxindel=4 slow out=mapped.sam ambig=all

Comment

Thanks Brian. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses