No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting fasta dna files to protein

Hello,

I have 200 human fasta dna files from a region of chr6. Each sequence is 5,500 bp each. I've combined these fasta files and uploaded them into Clustal Omega to generate multiple sequence alignments and phylogenetic tree.

It worked well, however, I would like to convert these sequences into protein and highlights epitopes present in the sequences. What is the best tool to used for this purpose? What format do I need to select for the output?

Thank you so much for your advice.

I've used transeq from the EMBOSS suite:

There's a command-line version as well, as part of the free EMBOSS toolkit that is available in most Linux distributions:

EMBOSS, European Molecular Biology Open Source Software Suite, bioinformatics, EBI, European Bioinformatics Institute, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, Open Source, Software, Database

Comment

I've also written a nifty tool for nucleotide -> amino translation, but that does not appear to be the goal in this case. Rather, it appears that there are multiple small sequences in a 5500bp region that need to be translated with correct frames. To do so, you need to know the boundaries of these short peptide-encoding sequences, and ignore the non-coding sequence. I don't know of a tool which does that.

Comment

Cross-posted: https://www.biostars.org/p/239422/

Has been answered there.

Comment

So far, I've tried EMBOS Transeq and the run aborted before generating anyting for some reason. I've combined multiple fasta files (size was under 1 MB). It worked when I tried it with a really small fasta file. I'm not sure what the problem is?

I've also tried ExPasy tool and it generated an output on the screen but it's not clear to me how to download the result. Also, my final goal is to import the result into Culstal Omega to do the alignment so the format of the output has to be compatible. Should I stick with ExPasy?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HLAgroupLK View Post
            I've also tried ExPasy tool and it generated an output on the screen but it's not clear to me how to download the result. Also, my final goal is to import the result into Culstal Omega to do the alignment so the format of the output has to be compatible. Should I stick with ExPasy?

Thanks
            Option 1: Highlight and copy/paste the result data into a separate text file (I assume result is already in fasta format). Be sure to save the file in text format.

Option 2: Choose "file" --> "Save Page as" from your browser window. Be sure to select format as "text file" for the file being saved.

First option may be cleaner. You can then open the file in MEGA or upload to Clustal Omega.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses