No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download all bacteria genomes in .gbk format

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but after searching the internet I seem to be at a dead end.

I currently would like to download all bacterial genomes in .gbk or .embl format to use with a program called MultiGeneBlast.

The current GUI in the program to create your own database doesnt work.
    I have tried https://github.com/kblin/ncbi-genome...ster/README.md website and it does not work either and crashes most of the time.

I've manually downloaded the gbgbct.seq.gz files individually from https://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/ and changed the extensions of the files to .gbk and when I use the database creation tool within MultiGeneBlast it still doesnt work.

If I go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/assembl...ll%5Bfilter%5D and choose completed genomes of bacteria it doesnt give me the .gbk format only .gbff and doesnt give me an embl option.

Maybe it is alot easier and simpler than I'm finding it, but I am not the most computer proficient.

If anybody would like to extend some help or advice it would be muchly appreciated. All the best!

There is no GUI for Kai Blin's NCBI Genome downloader tool so I am not sure what is crashing for you. That is a command line tool. Install and use on command line. There are thousands of bacterial genomes so be careful with the downloads.

gbff file format is actually GenBank format.

NCBI has assembly summary report files available. Here is the file that you can parse for bacteria. You can look at the relevant field to get the FTP download path for particular genome. GenBank format files will be inside that folder.

Code:
    #   See ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/README_assembly_summary.txt for a description of the columns in this file.
    # assembly_accession    bioproject      biosample       wgs_master      refseq_category taxid   species_taxid   organism_
    name    infraspecific_name      isolate version_status  assembly_level  release_type    genome_rep      seq_rel_date    a
    sm_name submitter       gbrs_paired_asm paired_asm_comp ftp_path        excluded_from_refseq    relation_to_type_material
    GCA_003023565.1 PRJNA351262     SAMN06020791    PXSA00000000.1  na      1919191 1919191 Halobacteriales archaeon QS_9_68_17              QS_9_68_17      latest  Scaffold        Major   Full    2018/03/27      ASM302356v1     None    na      na       ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/all/GCA/003/023/565/GCA_003023565.1_ASM302356v1      derived from metagenome
    GCA_003023575.1 PRJNA351262     SAMN06020787    PXRW00000000.1  na      1919185 1919185 Halobacteriales archaeon QS_7_69_60              QS_7_69_60      latest  Scaffold        Major   Full    2018/03/27      ASM302357v1     None    na      na       ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/all/GCA/003/023/575/GCA_003023575.1_ASM302357v1      derived from metagenome
    Last edited by GenoMax; 06-10-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you for replying so fast.

this is the error I had when I used Kai's ncbi genome downloader and I didn't understand it to say the least :P

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 125, in worker
      result = (True, func(*args, **kwds))
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\ncbi_genome_download\core.py", line 385, in downloadjob_creator_caller
      return create_downloadjob(*args)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\ncbi_genome_download\core.py", line 397, in create_downloadjob
      checksums = grab_checksums_file(entry)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\ncbi_genome_download\core.py", line 465, in grab_checksums_file
      req = requests.get(full_url)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 76, in get
      return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\api.py", line 61, in request
      return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 516, in request
      prep = self.prepare_request(req)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 449, in prepare_request
      p.prepare(
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\models.py", line 314, in prepare
      self.prepare_url(url, params)
      File "c:\users\g\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\requests\models.py", line 388, in prepare_url
      raise MissingSchema(error)
      requests.exceptions.MissingSchema: Invalid URL 'na/md5checksums.txt': No schema supplied. Perhaps you meant http://na/md5checksums.txt?

I will try and do the download the ncbi website in gbff format too and see if the multigeneblast program accepts it

Comment

Looks like you are trying to do this on Windows. That is a different can of worms. Programs like Kai Blin's are written to work on linux/macOS. While some may work on Windows there is no guarantee that they will.

If you can use WSL2 on Windows 10 which will allow you to use linux on your machine and use most of the programs seamlessly.

Comment

Okay thank you, I'll give that a go.

I appreciate you responding so fast, thanks again

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses