Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a small subset of transcripts as a reference for RNA-seq analysis

Instead of using all the transcripts as reference for the RNA-seq analysis, can I use a small subset which I am interested? I compared the results, of course, the expression values from the small subset is higher than that from the whole set. What I'm concerned is that, Does it cause any bias to the expression values?

This will depend upon how you do your mapping and then the expression quantitation.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      This will depend upon how you do your mapping and then the expression quantitation.
      I used RNA-seq analysis in CLC genomic workbench.
      Set parameters is as below
      Minimum length fraction: 0.9
      Minimum similarity fraction: 0.8
      Maximum number of hits for a read: 10
      What is the right way to do the mapping and quantitation for a small subset reference? I really appreciate if you can provide a reference for this. Thank you very much!

Comment

I don't think it's a good idea. It's always better to map to all the transcript because your data is coming from total RNA ( or poly-A RNA). It can happen that when you map to your subset, some reads maybe map in a better way to transcript that are not in your subset..

Comment

Originally posted by NicoBxl View Post
          I don't think it's a good idea. It's always better to map to all the transcript because your data is coming from total RNA ( or poly-A RNA). It can happen that when you map to your subset, some reads maybe map in a better way to transcript that are not in your subset..
          Yes, you're right. It is more robust to use entire assembly, since the result would be normalized by the entire mRNA expression, and also much easier for downstream analysis.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses