Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistical comparison of more than two ChIP-seq experiments

I have a peaks × experiments matrix of tag counts from ChIP-seq experiments in several conditions (with replicates), and I want to know which peaks are differentially enriched in different conditions. Basically, for each row of the matrix, I want to do an ANOVA (or something equivalent) asking if the enrichment is the same in all classes or not. Of course, I need to transform the raw counts in some way first.

Does anyone know how to do this rigorously? I know DESeq, edgeR, and DEGseq are designed for this kind of analysis, but as far as I can tell they only support a two-class comparison. Is there a way I can use them to compare more than two classes? Would it be appropriate just to use their variance stabilizations etc. to transform my data, then replace their two-class test with an ANOVA?

Also, each of my experiments has its own total chromatin control, so each control is a separate column in my matrix. Can these programs use ChIP-seq controls in some way, or are they only really for RNA-seq?

Hi

I have just added a new functionality to DESeq which allows you to fit generalized linear models (GLMs), in order to support more complex contrasts than simple comparisons. I am currently testing and documenting it and will release it soon.

Your application to ChIP-Seq was one of the use cases I had in mind for this GLM functionalioty but I could not try this out yet for lack of suitable data. As you have replicates and even per-sample input controls, your data might be a great test case. I'd be very interested to hear more details.

Cheers
    Simon

Comment

Thanks. That sounds perfect. I'd be very interested in trying it as soon as it's available, even if it's not fully documented, since I have a meeting coming up and would like to have preliminary results to discuss.

I can give you an example of my data if that would help. Let me know how to send it to you.

Comment

I have a related question that i recently asked of the bioconductor forum. Should the ChIP-seq reads used for making the count tables be filtered to remove redundant reads (i.e. those mapping to exactly the same position)?

Comment

That question would be better off in a brand-new thread than a year-old one, but even better is to see whether anyone's asked it already. Here's one previous incarnation of it: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6543
          Last edited by jwfoley; 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

jwfoley,
            I have some data coming in which were produced in a very similar setting. How did you end up analyzing your data? Do you have any references for where similar comparisons have been made?
            Thanks!

Comment

I developed a new method that is not yet publicly available, but I'm hoping to submit the manuscript within the next month or two and will make the method available once the paper is accepted. For the statistical analysis, I used DESeq.

Comment

Originally posted by jwfoley View Post
                I developed a new method that is not yet publicly available, but I'm hoping to submit the manuscript within the next month or two and will make the method available once the paper is accepted. For the statistical analysis, I used DESeq.
                Haha.. OK, good for you. Hope things go smooth with the manuscript.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses