No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcode sequences

Hi folks,

I’m working on multiplexing using barcoded adapters – the non-Illumina version where barcodes are read as the 5’ end of the fragment. From various discussions in these forums it sounds like a number of groups are doing this routinely, and with good success. I would like to pool up to 96 samples in a lane. Would anyone multiplexing at this level be willing to share their barcode sequences?

I am, of course, also considering just designing my own… any suggestions on particular sequence patterns to avoid?

Thanks!

Nathan

96 samples in one lane? Are you kidding me?
    what kinds of work do you want to do? theoretically you can mix 96 samples and sequence them in one lane. but the deep of you sequencing can not be very well even very bad. you can even get nothing usefully from your experiments

Comment

Originally posted by tujchl View Post
      96 samples in one lane? Are you kidding me?
      what kinds of work do you want to do? theoretically you can mix 96 samples and sequence them in one lane. but the deep of you sequencing can not be very well even very bad. you can even get nothing usefully from your experiments
      96 pooled samples would be great for many reasons not limited to assessing the frequency of a mutation in a gene (or genes) across many samples.

Comment

I afraid that sequencing 96 samples in one lane would not guarantee you find mutations and gene what you say because of sequencing depth

Comment

Originally posted by tujchl View Post
          I afraid that sequencing 96 samples in one lane would not guarantee you find mutations and gene what you say because of sequencing depth
          @tujchl

Lets say you produce 20M 75bp paired end reads from one lane. That equals 3 billion bases, or approximately 30 million bases per individual. Therefore you could cover a 100Kb region at 300X coverage. Of course, you may not align all the reads, but still that that is sufficient coverage if barcodes are used.

I am not understanding your justification.

@NJD

I would put in some redundancy for your barcodes. You need a minimum of four bases to barcode 96 people, and you could use a fifth base to detect an error in any of the previous four etc. With longer reads, the extra base is not that big of a hit.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses