No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of adapters and barcodes

Hi!

I want to compare an existing result from QIIME to cd-hit-otu-illumina.

cd-hit asks

"Barcodes should be removed. All the tags must start at 5' with the same rRNA primer shared by all rRNA genes (rare wrong base calls or small variations are ok - we will filter and trim them away). "

I know trimmomatic, but i think it can only remove adapters?

Any idea for removal of barcodes and adaptor sequences?

Thank you!

Trimmomatic can remove anything you put in a fasta file.

Comment

oh, i just saw the description of trimmomatic.
      Could you please advice me to remove adapters + 8mer barcodes from the unpaired r1 r2 fastq files? I would be very happy!

Comment

As long as the bar codes occur after quite a bit of adapter sequence, you can just ignore them. For example, if "a" is adapter sequence and "B" is barcode, and your sequence looks like this:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBBBBBBBBaaaaaaaa

...then you can just ignore the last "BBBBBBBBaaaaaaaa" and feed the initial part into a trimming program. Or you can substitute all barcodes for BBBBBBBB. What do you mean by "unpaired r1 r2 fastq files"? If you have r1 and r2 files, they should be paired, and trimmed together.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses